introduction

it all started one rainy day in maryland. i was 10 years old. my mom was downstairs talking with a guy dressed in a suit and tie. i was playing with my gameboy until i heard my mom yell. i slowly made my way to the stairs.

they guy told shook his head and looked at my mom with pity. he told her "i'll come pick the girl up tomorrow at 7 in the morning. everything that she owns should be packed. i know you're trying, but you ran out of time. sorry."

i was confused, more than ever. we were not not poor, nor were we rich. my mom tried everything she could to feed me, but sometimes she had break downs and she yelled at me.

the next day my mom woke me up early. i was gonna get ready for school, like every other normal day. but that morning, my mom sat in my bed. she looked at me with her eyes full of tears. she hugged me, she held me close to her. after a couple of minutes she whispered in my ear "always remember that i love you, no matter what."

right after she told me that, there was a loud knock on our front door. my mom looked at me, now tears falling down her face. "pack all of your clothes and your favorite things." and with that she left my room.

i did what she told me to do. i packed all my clothes and shoes. i also packed my gameboy with all 8 games i had. just when i finished packing, the same guy with the same suit and tie walked inside my room. he said that i had to go with him.

i looked at my mom, waiting for a signal, waiting for just a simple response; but nothing came from her way. she just looked down to her feet, and wiped her tears with the back of her hand.

the guy took my stuff and grabbed my arm, taking me away from my mother. the guy dragged me down the stairs, and out the front door. he pushed me inside a black car. i looked out the window to see my mother standing in the door frame.

"i love you." she mouthed at me while a tear rolled down her cheek.

that day i told myself that i wasn't gonna speak about it...

...or speak at all.