Chapter 4

I heard the door to the roof open and turned to be greeted by Thor. "What do you want?" I mumbled.

"JARVIS altered me to your presence here. He said that someone should go check on you" Thor explained.

"Damn machines" I whispered.

"What are you doing up here, young Will?" he inquired.

"I needed some fresh air" I replied.

"I do not think that is why you came here. Tell me why you are up here" he demanded.

"I'm up here for fresh air. I needed to clear my head" I stated, not looking at Thor.

"You weren't thinking about jumping, were you?" he asked, stepping closer to me. I nodded. I felt like crying.

"Young Will, you cannot think like that. Why would you ever want to take your own life?" Thor sat down next to me.

"Have you ever had your memories erased? Have you had them replaced with evil thoughts and false statements? Has your soul ever felt like its been sucked out and messed with?" I asked. Thor shook his head.

"Well, then you don't know why I thought about jumping".

"Explain to me why".

"The pain is why. You're all pressuring me to remember, to be the same again, and I can't do that. I can't be the same again. I can't completely remember. The world would be safer if I wasn't alive. No one would be able to use me as their weapon if I was dead. I would be free if I was dead" tears streaked my face.

"Why did you never tell anyone?"

"Because it would hurt too much for them to know my pain. My pain is far worse than any physical pain. I can't even remember my own family all because I was stupid enough to fall for one of Hydra's tricks. I have to live with knowing the pain I caused you guys".

"That is no excuse for ending your life".

"What life? I've only lived fifteen years of it. According to you I was frozen for fifty-seven years" I mumbled.

"You cannot jump" he urged.

"Yes I can. What's going to stop me?"

"I will. If you jump, then I will catch you and then have Stark put a force field around the tower so that you cannot jump out any of the windows" Thor replied.

"I would appreciate if you didn't tell anyone about this".

"I won't. No need to worry the others" he said, and offered me a small smile. We headed back inside.

"Will, did you see the news?" Pepper asked nervously. I shook my head.

"You better come and see this".

I followed Pepper to the communal floor where the others Avengers were gathered around the TV.

"Midtown High was attacked today by an unknown attacker" the news reporter said "investigators have found pieces of the machines that attacked the school".

There was a picture of the shards of metal. I knew them to be pieces of a doom bot. I sank to my knees.

"Oh my god. Oh my god. It's all my fault. It's all my fault. People could have died. It's all my fault" I whispered.

"Will" Steve said, crouching down next to me "Will, it's going to be alright".

"There have been no reported casualties yet, but there have been several reported injured" the reporter read.