Chapter 7

"No. No I can't. I have my family to look after and what about Peter. I can't" I was in shock.

"I believe in you Will" he said.

"No. I can help you find a new director. I won't be one".

"Fine. I respect that, but at least think about it for a while" Coulson got up and left. I laid back on the bed for a while.

Why me, I'm not qualified for this job. I'm just a kid. I can't do this. I need to go home. I thought.

I started packing may bag when my phone rang. It of course was Peter.

"Hey Pete" I answered.

"Will I'm glad you picked up. Tony needs you at the tower as soon as possible. He couldn't call because the systems are down. Doom shut them down" Peter had a little panic in his voice.

"Peter I'm not sure if it's safe for me to come back. If Doom hacked the tower's systems, then he can find me there again. I can't risk it" I stated "but I might be able to turn the systems on from where I am".

"Will if you can't go back to the tower then stay at my place. Aunt May would be happy to have you stay".

"Fine if you guys need me that bad" I started "I'll have Coulson give me a ride home".

I finally had a reason to go home. I sat back on the bed and tried to reboot the tower's systems with no luck. I got up and went to Coulson's office.

"I need to go home" I said storming in.

"Why" he looked up from his paperwork.

"Doom launched a cyber attack on the tower. Their systems are down and they can't contact me. Peter told me what happened" I said.

"Will if Doom attacked then it's not safe for you to go back yet".

"I'm going to stay with Peter" I started.

"Fine. Get your things and let's go" I rushed back to my room and grabbed my bag. Daisy stopped me in the hall.

"Where are you going in such a rush" she asked.

"I'm going home" I replied and kept walking.

"Why" Daisy was walking next to me.

"Because my family was attacked" I stated plainly.

"By who" we had reached my room and I grabbed my bag.

"Doctor Doom. It was only a cyber attack and I can't reboot the systems from here" I explained heading for the hangar.

"But it isn't safe for you to go back" she started.

"You sound just like Coulson. I'm not going to stay at the tower. I'm going to stay at a friend's house".

"Can I ride with you guys" she asked.

"I guess" I shrugged. I got in the jet and sat down. Daisy sat across from me. May and Coulson were in the cockpit.

"May thinks I'm weak" I whispered when we took off.

"Who cares what she thinks" Daisy asked.

"She's the cavalry" I stated.

"Yes, but you're an Avenger".

"So. They don't believe me".

"Coulson and I do" she said.

"I know" I started.

"Will just stop. You don't need to prove yourself to anyone; as long as you know what you can do and what you do it for. That's all that matters".

"Okay. You're right" I was interrupted when my phone buzzed. It was Ward again.

"What" I demanded.

"I just called to check up on you" he stated.

"I doubt that. Now what do you want" I demanded again.

"Are you still with Coulson's team or are you back with that pathetic family of yours" he asked.

"Both. Now if you are calling to track me I don't care because if you take me again and brainwash me, I'll just remember again. If you continuously brainwash me then I'll be useless to you or anyone else. If you take me ever again you might as well just kill me" I stated.

"That is brave of you and here I thought that you were a weakling" he started. I hung up before he could finish. I sighed and sat back in my seat. Daisy gave me a worried look.

"Ward again" she asked. I nodded. I hadn't noticed Coulson was starring at us.

"Will you really need a new number or just throw your phone away" Coulson stated.

"Yeah you're probably right" I admitted.

"We will be in New York in about three hours" May said.

I rested my head against the wall of the jet and tried to get some sleep. It had been at least two days since I had last slept. Daisy woke me up when we were five minutes away from the tower.

I quickly texted Peter that I was almost home. Sure enough five minutes later I saw Peter standing on the landing pad of the tower.

"Hey Rogers" he said when I had gotten off the jet.

"Hey Pete".

I reached for the door, but he stopped me.

"I wouldn't go in there if I were you. The power is still out and let's just say that your dad and Tony are going at it again" he stated.

"Great, but I just need to put my bag down" I stated. I suddenly remembered that I needed to do something. I went to the edge of the tower and fished my phone out of my bag.

"Will what are you doing" Peter asked cautiously. I dropped my phone from the tower.

"Making sure that Ward can't call me again" I replied. We headed inside. I could hear the yelling from two floors up. I set my bag down in my room and started to unpack.

"Why can't they ever stop fighting" I mumbled to myself. Peter stood in the doorway and watched.

"Okay let's go" I brushed past Peter and went downstairs towards all the commotion. I hung back and listened for a few minutes.

"Tony you should have had a better security system" Steve yelled.

"It's not my fault" Tony yelled back.

"He's right it's our fault. We were the ones that let Doom get Will" Nat said. I decided to enter the room. No one noticed at first.

"Some family welcome this is" I stated sarcastically.