Chapter Four: A Lost Puppy

Abandoning her seat in the cafe, Kit couldn't believe her luck

Abandoning her seat in the cafe, Kit couldn't believe her luck. First, Tony Stark, then Bruce Banner, but Captain America was walking in the flesh right outside. Perhaps he wasn't as easily recognisable without the star-spangled spandex, but it was easy to pick him out from a crowd. His body build was abnormally large compared to the others walking around him, definitely looking the part of a superhero trying to fit in.

She could already feel it, the feverish rush that was coursing through her body, telling her to pick him as her next target. Many would have considered her mad to go after a third person in such a short time frame, but Kit was definitely feeling lucky. And while he bore the look of a superhero, the confused expression as he glanced at the buildings around him said otherwise.

To her amusement, he resembled a lost puppy, on the verge of crying out for help if someone didn't assist him shortly. The bewildered expression never seemed to leave his face and before she started to feel bad, she decided to act on her prey. So what did a superhero carry on their person besides a watch and a pizza coupon? She had no interests in gadgets really unless she could sell it, but perhaps another unique piece couldn't hurt. Every so often, the Alley Cat sometimes had a thing for bright and shiny objects.

Heading outside, Kit knew how to position herself to begin the interaction and thankfully, he looked distracted enough with whatever he was looking over in the window of a building. With a newspaper in hand, she quickly lifted it up after planting herself oddly close without him noticing. And when he finally turned to leave, he ended up crashing right into her. However, Kit hadn't anticipated the amount of strength that was coming her way as he took to easily knocking her down to the ground.

To try and soften the blow of the fall, Kit stuck her hands out to catch herself, only to scrape her palms against the pavement. Swearing under her breath, she could already feel the stinging sensation as she heard him gasp at the realisation of what he had done.

"Ma'am?" A strong voice rang out. "Are you alright? I'm so sorry, I didn't see you standing there."

Ma'am, she repeated in her head, well that's certainly different. But it's better than what half of the construction workers call out to me these days.

Shrugging it off, Kit was about to tell him that she was fine, but instead, found a hand in her face, waiting to help her up. She gladly took it and in just a split second was hoisted to her feet as if she was made of air. The speed of his help left her slightly dizzy as she had to blink several times as she steadied herself on her feet. And if that wasn't enough, he had yet to stop apologising as if he had really ended up hurting her.

"No, it's my fault really," Kit told him, " I wasn't paying attention to where I was going."

"Well, that makes the two of us then," he countered until he noticed her hands, " you're bleeding."

Before Kit could react, her wrists were grabbed by the one and only Steve Rogers and her palms were forced to face upwards to reveal the scrapes she had received earlier. She tried to point out that it wasn't that bad, nothing a little rubbing alcohol couldn't fix up in little time. However, that seemed to make things worse as he insisted that peroxide would probably be gentler on her skin and less painful.