Chapter Eleven: Adventures in Babysitting

Kit would be the first to admit that her new bedroom spoke of luxury, even if it was simple in terms of decorations

Kit would be the first to admit that her new bedroom spoke of luxury, even if it was simple in terms of decorations. The mattress itself was comfortable enough that she could have sprawled out on it and never gotten up again. However, she wasn't sure just how permanent her stay was going to be, after all, the others didn't take to her right away.

She wasn't expecting a warm homecoming by any means, considering they were all practically strangers ( and she had stolen something from the majority of them) but she didn't expect to be so frowned upon. Of course, Fury left her with the parting words that she just had to give it time. Suddenly, she felt like she was in a movie that portrayed a stereotypical high school experience.

Somehow, she had landed the role of the new girl and she had to make her way into the popular group. She wondered if the Avengers had the policy to wear pink on Wednesdays, it felt like something Tony would implement to the group over time. The thought of them all dressed in pink spandex, including Bruce and Steve managed to bring a small smile to her face as she sat on the bed.

At the very least, she figured she could get a good night's rest and pretend that was staying in a hotel room. She even had her own personal coffee maker and a small television. However, just as she had plans to settle in, she heard the ominous sound of her stomach growling.

Suddenly, Kit was full regret of not eating more that morning.

Since Fury's departure, she hadn't been given any specifics about what she was supposed to do. He told her once she was settled that she would begin her training, whatever that entailed. He hadn't told her that she wasn't allowed to leave the building and she was sure that the Avengers were not going to be welcoming her to a sit-down dinner.

There wouldn't really be an issue if she just happened to leave to get something to eat, would there?

Slipping out of the room, Kit glanced up and down the hall to make sure the coast was clear. Suddenly, she was the high schooler, trying to sneak out of the household at night. It felt ridiculous compared to what she was used to. From a young age, she had been able to walk in and out of the home without so much as someone looking in her direction, let alone question her.

She was just about to travel the rest of the way when she was stopped by the sound of someone clearing their throat. Quickly, she straightened her posture and turned around to see Clint coming out of one of the back rooms, eyeing her in curiosity.

"Going somewhere?"

"Oh no, I'm just sleepwalking," she answered flatly, "if you would excuse me-"

"Nice try," he replied, "what are you really doing? Looking for stuff to steal during your stay?"

Kit folded her arms over her chest, rolling her eyes in the process. "Wow, couldn't go a full minute without throwing out an accusation. Nice."

"Well, you'll have to forgive me, I'm only going off our past history, you see?"