Chapter Fourteen: Feeling Vulnerable Yet?

Training had not gone as expected and Kit proved that she, indeed, was not a fighter

Training had not gone as expected and Kit proved that she, indeed, was not a fighter. At least, not yet. However, something in the training had caught the attention of all those newly involved in her life. They needed to get answers, but it wasn't going to be as easy as simply asking questions. Especially since Kit refused to give any sort of answer that left her open. The only option that would give them quick results was getting a blood sample.

Given the task of escorting Kit to the lab where she would get her bloodwork, Tony noticed that Kit was abnormally quiet. As he stole a glance in her direction, it seemed she had paled drastically.

"Any particular reason as to why you're making that face?" he asked her. Immediately, Kit straightened her posture and looked back at him.

"Why are you making that face?" she countered.

"I'm not making a face-"

"That's right, that's how you always look, isn't it?"

"You mean this handsome?" Tony said. "Yes."

It was enough to earn a small smile from her, but Kit needed to have the last word. "If that's what you want to call yourself, so be it," she told him, patting his shoulder, " whatever helps you sleep at night, champ."

"You know, I liked you better when you were Carol."

"Of course you did, she laughed at all your corny ass jokes."

He looked incredibly offended as he sighed. "They were not...you know what, nevermind. I liked Carol because she was nicer."

"It's not as if you've rolled out the welcome mat for me since I've arrived," she said, " so, I don't exactly see the point in killing you with kindness."

"Roll out the welcome mat? You stole my watch!"

Kit came to a sudden stop and glared at him. "Ugh! I swear to God! If you bring up that damn watch one more time, I'm going to march all the way to Colorado Springs, get the watch, march back here, and beat you with it. Is that what you want?"

Tony folded his arms. "That seems a bit excessive, don't you think?"

"That's rich coming from the king of excessive! Have you seen where you live? Your coffee maker is smarter than the average middle schooler. It can make conversation and a cappuccino at the same time!"

Suddenly, Tony looked all too proud of himself as his chest puffed out with pride. "Yes, one of my latest works. Makes one of the best cups."

"Congrats," she said flatly, " I'll be sure to give you a golden star sticker later on."

Feeling his chest deflate slightly, Tony rolled his eyes. Usually, the others allowed him the last word, even if it was to get him to be quiet.

"You know," he called after her, " there can only be one sassy Avenger in this group!"