Chapter Twelve: Steve Farts the National Anthem

Kit was perfectly content with the rest of her evening, eating what was left of her eggroll and enjoying the freedom of the night

Kit was perfectly content with the rest of her evening, eating what was left of her eggroll and enjoying the freedom of the night. She was sure that the Avengers were notified by Clint that she had taken off and it probably wouldn't be long until they arrived. While she didn't know what the consequences would be for her actions of deceit, she hoped they wouldn't be too bad. After all, she had only acted out of hunger or at least, that was the excuse she had come up with so far.

However, after an hour of no-shows, Kit thought maybe she had thrown them off of her trail. It seemed like quite the accomplishment, but rather than celebrating, she just found herself to be tired. The events of the day had been quite overwhelming, even for a lively spirit such as herself. She thought about heading back to her apartment to sleep, but she had a feeling they probably knew where she was staying. And if Kit was truly being honest with herself, she really didn't feel like moving from the bench.

Eventually, she lied down on the bench, resting on her back to look up at the night sky. Although there wasn't much to see, with the overcast and the lights of the city, there wasn't a chance to see the stars. Turning over on her side, Kit stared at the pathway and the grass on the other side before closing her eyes.  She told herself that she was only going to take a nap, but apparently, she was a lot more tired than she thought at the time.

It was the sound of children's laughter that caused Kit to stir again, an eerie sensation washing over as she believed it to still be night. However, as she opened her eyes, Kit was immediately blinded by the light of the sun. She let out a series of swears under her breath as she covered both eyes with her hands. One, because it was a rather painful experience and two because she had slept much longer than she had anticipated.

Across the way, she could see the children that had disrupted her sleep. A group of them were surrounded by adults as they played a game of tag. Kit sat up, rubbing her upper back and shoulder that was completely sore from her sleeping position and the rough surface. Just as she sat up, a couple walked by, eyeing her with distaste as they kept their daughter in the centre of them. But unlike the dirty look that her parents gave, the little girl offered a smile in Kit's direction, even taking to shouting out "good morning" before her parents told her to stop.

She had been so distracted by the little girl with her parents, trying to envision any sort of happy memories she shared with her own parents, but nothing came to mind. However, in the short time that she failed to pay attention, someone sat beside her on the bench.

"Life has a way of catching up with you."

Turning her head, Kit rolled her eyes and groaned as soon as she spotted Clint sitting beside her. In his hand, he was holding up her fortune cookie from the night before.

"About time you found me," she replied, " what took you so long?"

"Well, personally, I went to bed," Clint told her, " I don't know what the others did after I told them, but I definitely went home and went to sleep. Everyone was already annoyed because I let you get away, I didn't want to deal with that for the rest of the night. Besides, I thought it would be better to get a fresh start in the morning after I had my morning pot of coffee. And now I feel much better."