Chapter Thirteen: Training Day

Clint managed to convince Kit to return to the tower, reassuring her that she would be welcomed into the group sooner rather than later

Clint managed to convince Kit to return to the tower, reassuring her that she would be welcomed into the group sooner rather than later. She didn't believe him though, knowing there was no reason for the others to welcome her with open arms. Kit would never admit it out loud, especially in front of the others, but she was feeling extremely insecure in her new settings. On the street, no one knew her, not even Rob and he had been around her the longest. And she liked to keep it that way because it was easier on her.

On the street, she had the ball in her court. She was anonymous, meaning no one could use information against her. Being among the Avengers, Kit felt like she was completely out of her league. They had super abilities, enhanced skills, and from what she had noticed, they were incredibly smart. Any look into her past, Kit knew that they would see that she didn't have much of an education outside her training with O'Malley.

The only way she could stay ahead of the game was to constantly deflect and distract. If someone turned the attention on her, she turned it right back on them. Maybe it was enough to deem her annoying, but she didn't care, it left her feeling secure and that was what mattered.

But as she returned to the tower with Clint, Kit felt incredibly small upon entering. She felt like a child being escorted home after being caught outside after curfew. However, to her good fortune, upon her entrance, she only had to face Bruce. To her surprise, Bruce seemed more relieved than upset that she had been found. He greeted her and invited Kit to sit down and enjoy some breakfast.

With a small smile, Kit sat down and helped herself to some eggs and toast. It remained just the two men in her company, allowing her to relax. But the moment of peace quickly came to an end when she heard the door open down the way and seconds later, Natasha appeared.

Immediately, Kit swallowed the food in her mouth and placed on a smile, one that Natasha did not return.

Kit knew damn well she was playing with fire when it came to irritating Natasha, but at the same time, she couldn't help herself.

"Good morning, beautiful," she greeted Natasha, although the air remained icy. " You know, I don't how you manage to stay angry for so long. Why not start the day fresh? I don't even know why you're upset with me, I technically didn't take anything from you...except maybe some pride."

Natasha was not in the humorous mood that morning, simply because they had been up most of the evening trying to track down Kit's whereabouts.  Fury didn't like loose ends and there was a bit of an alarmed raised as Kit disappeared into the night. However, she raised a brow in Kit's direction willing to humour the train of thought.

"Pride? Is that what you think you took from me?"

"Well, you seemed pretty pissed off when I was able to escape you, " Kit shrugged.

"You're mistaking luck for skill," Natasha told her, " you managed to get away, but if you don't recall, I ended up catching you."

"Catching me? You mean with your handcuffs because that worked out so well. I remember volunteering to go with you two."