Putting The Pieces Together

The six was able to get back to the Camaro but Festus was too damaged to help form Ben's car. Sadie remedied this by stealing a minivan parked next to them, and the six were able to make it to a run down motel in the next state. They rented two rooms side by side. The group decided to barricade the front doors and use the middle door that connected the two rooms together. Now; Ben, Sadie, Charlie, and Marie all sat around a small table next to a lumpy bed. The room was mildewy and dimly lit, but it would do.

"Hydras! Since when are those a thing?! How are those a thing?!" Ben blurted out, breaking the silence in the room.

"Quiet, you'll wake Hadley and Henry", said Marie pointing at the wall behind her.

"Sorry, I'm a little confused is all. I just want to know about the thing that nearly killed my dragon."

"During my training I learned a bit about the lore surrounding the dragons. Aside from dragons there are rumored to be a small handful of other supernatural creatures roaming the Earth", replied Sadie.

She looked over to Ben, "The hydra are beasts of poison and destruction. There are many legends about where they come from. Some say they sprung forth from the world's dark magic, other legends say that they were some failed "proto dragon" created by the Spacial Dragon himself. Either way what worries me is that Hadley said that man was breeding them."

"So whoever is trying to kill us has not only dragons but hydras, not to mention my sword", said Charlie bleakley.

"Hey! Don't do that to yourself. It's not your fault you lost the blade and you know it", snapped Marie.

"Guys, guys just calm down. So what we lost the sword? What does that even mean for us, you still got your powers?", asked Ben.

"It means we can't summon one of the dragons until we get the sword", said Sadie as she contemplated to herself. "So we can't beat whatever we're up against. "

"Oh", said Ben quietly as he sank down embarrassed.

"Bring me that sword you found, Charlie."

"Here", he said handing it over. She turned it a bit and examined what exactly it was.

"Hmm, this was able to go up against the dragon swords. Most swords would have shattered, but this...this is a treasure to behold.", she said, transfixed with the blade.

The sword was around three feet long with an ornate hand guard and hilt made from some dark metal. The blade itself was comprised of a purple stone, which while in the shape of a blade was jagged and unfinished looking in nature. Touching the blade made Sadie's hand break out in blisters.

"Henry said the man that stole the sword had a metal bone. That, the sword, and my own experience lead me to think we're dealing with an alchymist."

"Wait, I thought us dragon children were the only magical humans", said Marie confused."What's this about alchymists?"

"We are. Humans on their own cannot use magic, but there is an exception. As you all saw there are lots of other dragon children and there have been for centuries. When a dragon child has children they have the potential to pass along some magic into them. It is rare but possible, and it can lie dormant of generations before presenting itself. Some like our friend Mr. eh Lou, Lee, whoever are able to infuse magic into things and make a whole host of dangerous objects and trinkets", she said holding up the sword at the end for emphasis.

She handed it back to Charlie," Use this until we can recover your blade." He took it from her, careful to avoid the blade.

"Now then, we have one last blade to retrieve and it is the hardest to get now that my brother is dead."

"It's in Pompeii",said Charlie," How is it the other three were here but that one is all the way on another continent?"

"Two of them were moved." The group turned to see Hadley standing in the doorway of their room. He closed the door behind him and sat on the bed near Charlie.

"The "bad" dragons already found the swords of water and earth a while back. They moved them using the Dragon of Space."

"So that's how you, Lau, and that farmer found us. They had already found them years ago", stated Marie. "It was just a matter of waiting."

"Yeah, I guess they did."

"And they know where we're going to find the final sword. You said it's already been guarded", stated Sadie," Yet we have no other option but to go there and get the blade anyway."

The group was silent for a moment, everyone fearing another loss.

"Wait, if they could move the blades, why not just keep them, or throw them into a volcano."

"Interesting that you said that, I was thinking the same." Sadie looked up to Hadley expecting an answer.

"I have no idea. The told me next to nothing about the swords or even what their goal was." Hadley sank back a bit.

"Hmmm...here's what we're going to do. Tomorrow we make for the east coast. It's safer to drive so we don't attract attention. Once we reach it you two and Henry will summon your elemental dragons. We'll fly to the island. Summoning a dragon takes a lot of energy, so once we get there we will send your dragons off. Hadley and I can summon ours if we need the extra muscle. Once there we make for where the sword is hidden and kill anyone who tries to stop us", her voice got deathly serious on the last part. "Do we all agree."

Hadley put his hand up and the rest nodded uneasily.

"Good. You all get some sleep and I'll get some more antibiotics for Charlie's arm. We leave at 7 am sharp."