Part 10: The Reaction

AN: Saturn by Sleeping at Last is above or on the side.

As if the clones aren't enough of a problem, there are other places on the battlefield that need someone to cover

As if the clones aren't enough of a problem, there are other places on the battlefield that need someone to cover. I have an urge to go so I can get rid of more clones faster than being stationed at the one spot they will all be coming at. I know I can take them out myself. No matter how much it burns me to wanna leave, I remind myself that I need to stay at Wanda's side—which is why I volunteered in the first place—because otherwise I volunteered to stay out for no reason.

It's also the fact that I can teleport myself out of here with no problem, but I promised Pietro that I would stay here for my well-being. And I made a promise to myself to stay here to protect Wanda, that I would keep an eye out for her. Throughout that conversation, all I thought about was the twins's well-being. Their safety has become one of my main priorities on this battlefield.

Ever since the kiss with Pietro, I'm still trying to decipher what it means for myself. That in spite of the need and desire I buried deep inside of me for a long time, I've don't know how to acknowledge if I could have feelings for him. Let alone be able to feel that way. I know for Pietro, it means something more than what it must of looked like. We both forgot we had an audience, and out of all people it being Wanda. Plus the fact that it was the first time we kissed and it was here out of all places. Having your first kiss in our home country will mean something for the both of us, but there isn't anything romantic about your first kiss in the middle of a war. It's different when it's with someone you've known your whole life. When it's someone you're close to. Someone whose a friend but so much more.

It all makes sense when I think about it. I admit that I've looked at Pietro in that way, but I really thought of him as a brother. But I only grew up thinking that because I thought he saw me in that same way.

Kiss or no kiss, I care deeply about Pietro. So, I'm going to do my best to keep that promise. But from the looks of it, I can sense it will seem as if it doesn't mean a thing later on. If I'm an Avenger, I have to focus on saving others first. . .and that's what is what I will continue to do.

As I finish ripping apart a clone from the inside out for getting too close to the core, I turn around to one of my blind spots. . .and that's when it caught my eye. Wanda was finishing off multiple of the clones with her powers, and one that wasn't in her control circles around, coming at her from a different angle. It made her it's target.

Out of instinct, I pull Wanda to me. With my other hand, I send out my power at the machine, watching it explode as it crashes hard to the ground. There wasn't enough time for Wanda to finish what she was doing, but luckily, all the machines around us had have already obliterated.

"Can you. . .create a forcefield?" she asks me as she finds herself panting in spite of exhaustion.

"I could. One big enough to shield this whole area," I say as I swirl my finger in the air. I may have told her the truth, that it's possible. But if I go right ahead and do so Wanda would be mad that I didn't tell her the consequences of doing so. I can already hear her bicker my ear off. I know she would want me to tell her. "But if I did, it would drain my energy, just like on the train." As if anything else could make this more difficult.