Chapter 5

Dedicated to swashbucklebabe for her encouraging comment! :)

Ryia put the last of the flat cake batter in the pan, scraping the last bits out with a wooden spoon before setting on the counter.

Gillian turned in his sleep.

Ryia grinned evilly as she poked Gillian with her make-shift crutch. He batted it away with his hand and mumbled something incoherent.

"Gillian, wake up!" She jabbed him one last time before turning back to the fire and flipping the flat cakes.

"What is it?" he sat up groggily and sniffed the air.

"Flat cakes and bacon. Go wash up." she shooed him outside and smiled to herself.

He mumbled something else, but went outside to the pump where he washed his hands and face.

He came back in looking less sleepy and looked at the food like a predator would stalk his prey.

Ryia laughed softly to herself as put the last of the flat cakes on the table. "I finished your flour, and your sugar is almost gone as well."

Gillian raised an eyebrow. "I guess I'll have to go to the village today."

"I don't suppose I can go." Ryia looked down at her plate glumly.

"Nope." Gillian stuffed an unhealthy amount of bacon in his mouth. "I don't suppose you could."

"Gillian!" she shook her head.

"I don't suppose you need anything from the village?" he said with his mouth stuffed with food.

"I don't think I do." Ryia took a small bite of flat cake coated in maple syrup.

"Can you sew?" he asked after he had swallowed.

She gave him a puzzled look. "Somewhat. I guess." she put a bite of bacon in her mouth.

"How good is somewhat?" he looked straight into her eyes with his dark blue ones.

"I can sew my own clothes and I can mend lots of things." she shrugged.

Gillian nodded and went back to eating his food. "I'll go as soon as I'm done eating here."

"Alright." she nodded and went back to eating her food.

Gillian held the plate up to his mouth as he shoved the remaining food into his trap. "Well that was good." he leaned back against his chair and finished chewing the food. "I'll get going then." he backed his chair out.

Ryia nodded and stood up.

Gillian grabbed his hunting knife, slipping it into his boot, and he grabbed his bow and quiver full of arrows. "Thanks for breakfast." he almost gave her a smile. "I haven't had anything like that since..." his face clouded over for a second before he composed his features into a forced smiled, "I haven't had it in a long time."

Ryia smiled, choosing to ignore his minor slip. "Think of it as me saying thank you."

Gillian went outside and into the barn where he kept his horse.

He reappeared with his horse. "So all we need is flour and sugar, right?"

"As far as I know." she walked out into the doorway, holding her arms close to her body.

"I should be back before sundown." he mounted his horse. "Don't work too hard, and keep off that leg."

"Alright." she agreed.. "I won't."

"Hi-ya!" his horse took off.

Ryia turned around and went back inside.

~~~