Chapter 17

Dedicated to TimothyStevens2 who has saved me from a horrific embarrassment in the last chapter.(Will be fixed probably tomorrow or something. When I find more time.) (I am a city girl in case you guys couldn't tell. :P :D Don't ask me why I'm trying to write this.)

Gillian rubbed his eyes. The moon was high in the sky and Ryia was worse. She was calling out for her mother, telling her not to leave her, and then calling for Gillian. She would talk about Castile, different people, and different things.

She required much attention, her cloth on her forehead needed to be changed almost constantly, she needed to be drinking as much as she could swallow, and she would often gag, although nothing came up.

She started to heave again. Gillian cringed but held a bucket under her head as she leaned over the bed. Nothing came up.

Gillian's stomach clenched, he broke out in a cold sweat and leaned back in his chair. He was afraid he would start vomiting with her if he saw, smelled, or even heard her retch.

A cool breeze floated through the bedroom window, cooling his sweaty face and his stomach began to untense. I don't think I can handle this much longer.

"Gillian?" Ryia's eyes popped open and had a glazed look to them.

Gillian snapped to attention. "Yes? What's wrong? Do you need anything?"

"Don't leave me. Please." she looked at the back of the room. "They're after me! Gillian don't leave me!" she cowered in her bed.

Gillian held her hand. "I won't leave you."

Tears spilled from her eyes and she held onto his hand with an uncommonly strong grip. Treating his hand like a lifeline. "Don't leave." she whispered.

"I won't leave you." he tried to move his sweaty hand from hers, but her grip was too secure.

Girls, his mouth twitched and he rubbed his nose with his free hand. You can't blame her, he chastened himself, she's sick, and she can't help but be...well, helpless.

She brought his hand close to her chest and kept whimpering like a hurt puppy.

Gillian looked at her small delicate face. "Too bad she had to get sick." he grabbed her cloth. Hot, hot, hot, he thought.

The cloth was burning and her wasn't forehead not much better.

"I really hope I don't catch this." he muttered. That would just put them back more, giving the law men a chance to catch up.

The door to the bedroom opened and Maria appeared with her night cap. "Gillian, you should get some sleep. You need your rest."

Gillian was tempted to give. He wanted to just go to sleep. He didn't want to take care of her. In fact he detested taking care of sick people. But she needed help. She needed him.

"I'll be alright." he blinked a couple of times to ward off his sleepiness.

Maria sighed. "You might catch it too if you don't go to sleep."

"She needs me." he looked back at the plaugued expression on Ryia's face. Yes, she would have a fit if she found out he was gone. And her body couldn't afford to have a fit. She needed every ounce of energy to battle the sickness.

"Well, if you think so." Maria shook her head.

Gillian nodded. "It'll only be a little while till morning. Hopefully she'll be better by then."

Maria didn't fuss and went back to her room.

It'll be longer than just a "little while" till morning and you know it. Who knows if she'll even be better by then! he sighed. She needs to get better.