Chapter 24

Ryia opened her eyes, the sun was peaking through the trees, and the cold trying to penetrate her small body. Only she wasn't cold. She was actually very warm. And, as her eyes focused, she became very uncomfortable.

She found herself in the arms of her husband.

Gillian's arms were wrapped around her and she was facing Gillian's chest, and his chin tucking her head in place.

What do I do? I can't stay here all morning. But I don't want to get up either, she hated to admit it, but she rather liked being right where she was. It made her feel safe and secure. And very warm.

Should I just pretend I'm asleep? she wondered.

She felt Gillian shift and she quickly closed her eyes and stayed still. She was sure he could feel the rapid beating of her heart.

His breathing changed and she heard him murmur. "Well this is awkward."

He shifted and let her out of his arms and got up.

She rubbed her eyes and pretended that she just woke up. "Goodmorning." she sat up and grabbed her blanket, folding it up.

"Morning." he grabbed his blanket and rolled it up before tying it to Red and repacking him. "Are you hungry?"

"Not really." she handed him her blanket.

"I guess we'll just keep on riding then." he started to disassemble camp. "And if we go through a town, we won't stop. Right?"

Ryia nodded. "It's fine with me."

He stopped packing up. "On the other hand, I think I want coffee. You want any?"

She shook her head. "No thank you."

"Your loss." he grinned and started a fire.

She smiled and rested against a tree. Her heart was still racing from seconds ago and her legs still felt like jelly.

"So if we run into a farmhouse at night, we'll stay there?" he glanced up at her. He was apparently not affected from that morning's predicament.

"If you want." she shrugged.

Gillian rolled his eyes. "You should be more decisive."

"Yes. If we come across a welcoming farmhouse we'll stay there." she told him.

He smiled. "Yes ma'am. Although, I think I like it better when you aren't so decisive."

Ryia rolled her eyes. "Yes Mr. Indecisive."

He shook his head and checked his coffee.

"It's not going to be done that fast." she told him.

"Just in case." he peered into the pot and got a puff of steam in his face.

Ryia let out an un-lady-like snort.

"Don't laugh." he pouted.

"I didn't." she rolled her eyes.

"Don't snort." he corrected.

"It was your own fault." she scoffed.

"Well-" he started.

"It's boiling." she pointed to the pot.

Gillian quickly took it off the fire and poured some into a tin cup, straining out the coffee grains as he went. "That's how it's done."

He held out his cup of coffee for her to see and smell. "Not bad."

She shrugged. "Not bad."

"We should get going, huh." he looked guiltily at his coffee.