Chapter 11: Sleeping with the devil

©sprinklemycupcake

If you had not suffered as you have, there would be no depth to you as a human being, no humility, no compassion.

Eckhart Tolle

Chapter 11: Sleeping with the devil

Sometimes we have to go through the bad times in life in order to finally find true happiness. Albeit it'd be desirable not to have to experience the bad, traumatising events but without them we wouldn't learn and grow from them.

Things were good, really good actually. It's been a while since I've actually been able to say that without hesitation. Jason wasn't joking about going slow and it's been sweet, but a pain in the ass I can tell you that much. Every moment we're together I just have this pull towards him and since the only thing we're doing is kissing, it's getting harder and harder to control the urges.

I sound like a teenage boy drowning in hormones, god.

We were in the middle of grocery shopping when my phone rang, Jason took the cart from me and took over pushing so I could answer it.

Without looking at the caller ID, I picked it up, "Hello?" I grabbed a box of salt and vinegar chips for my own selfish reasons and tossed it into the cart. Jason smirked at me as I did so but I just stuck my tongue at him.

Starburst lollies were next into the cart and this time Jason didn't keep his comments in.

"Fatty." He grinned and I punched him in the shoulder.

No one on the other line replied and I frowned, "Um hello?"

"Hello? Hello? Jordan is that you? Are you there? Good lord Javier why are they called smartphones when they don't even work!"

I stopped in my step and froze completely when I heard the voice on the other end. And who the hell was Javier?

"Mother?" My eyes widened in shock, "Hey OW!" I shouted as Jason bumped the end of the trolly into my behind from the abrupt stop.

I turned around to glare at him and put a finger to my lips.

"Oh thank god it's you Jordan, for a second I thought I had got the wrong number." Thank god it's you? What the hell is she on about.

I cleared my throat and began to walk again, aware of Jason's watchful eyes. "To what do I owe the pleasure of this call mother?"

"Can't your mother just ring to say hello and see how her only daughter is doing?"

No she cant. "Not when said mother hasn't bothered to care how I am for the past 2 years."

Jason sent me look and I didn't blame him, he didn't know about my parents abandoning me because of Ariel. It was something that was hard for me to talk about and I just didn't want to upset him with it. It's not that I was hiding it, it just hasn't come up. I made a mental note to tell him later on when Ariel was in bed. I wasn't working tonight so it was perfect, I didn't want any secrets between us.

"Jordan Sierra Raine you will not speak to me that way, you understand me?"

I rolled my eyes irritated that she was speaking to me like I was 17 again. In truth she probably thought I was still 17 because I haven't seen her since then. We spoke after Ariel was born from time to time but I cut her out of my life when she refused to look at photos of her first granddaughter. She stopped calling and I never tried to reach out to her again.