Chapter 5: Recruitment Part 2

Already, we had a total of 3 members of the new league, not including me which would make a total of 4. Still though the slowly growing league was more like a squad and not many people were willing to join up. Of course though with us all, we continued fighting crime as we also continued to look for more potential members. I myself had an encounter with another metahuman who assisted me in foiling a bank robbery a week ago, however she disappeared before I offered her a chance to join the league.

It was a week later, that I was out that night listening for any form of distress when I saw her flying towards me. She hovered in place for a moment, but landed in front of me on top of the building. I stopped listening and turned my attention to her as she stood there. She had unusually lighter skin than a normal caucasian human, and her eyes were sapphire blue with no pupils or iris, however she had long and straight black hair.

"Well I missed your name when you helped me a week ago." I said to her, trying to spark a conversation. "Well I'm not one for staying around after I take care of criminals" She replies.

"Name's Corefire, I know who you are Hybrid" She said to me as she slowly walked to the right. My eyes were trained on her. "I take it you come to join the new league as well?" I asked with curiousity.

"Well yes." She replied while she turned around to look at the moon. "Well I was going to offer a position to you, but you left before I could" I said to her. "Nonetheless it's still on the table".

She turns to me slowly and nodded her head. "I knew one of the lost members. The same that created you. He gave me mental blocks so it would be harder for me to become manipulated again. I'll join your group, in exchange for a stronger mental block" She requested to me. "I can accommodate you on that Corefire" I answered to her honoring her request.

"Let's go back to my place and you can meet the others before I give you the blocks" I said to her and she nodded. With that, we flew back to the mansion where the others got acquainted with Corefire before she and I got to the mental blocks.

A while later, I performed the mental blocks and enhanced the previous ones before and made them only accessible to me. Within several days, we continued fighting crime. It was one day that we had to deal with a riot at STAR Labs caused by Riot himself, a villain who could duplicate himself everytime he was hit.

Thankfully we took him down with little resistance, but the labs were trashed. As I looked around, I noticed that the documents on the name Batson hanging out of a fallen file cabinet. I knew Batson was the name of Captain Marvel's real name, Billy Batson and I had a feeling that they might have been involved, so I swiped the folder before we left.

That night I read the documents inside and it stated that Jane and I weren't the only ones created from Project: New Justice. It appears that Dr. Dean Batson, my father's friend in the project created a hybrid of DNA from Captain Marvel and Zatanna Zatara. It stated that he was apprehended for his experiments, so I decided to go to his last known location before his arrest so maybe I could get a clue as to the where abouts of his creation.

I flew to an old rundown apartment near the docks. It wasn't inhabited and was apart of my new rejuvenation program for the many buildins crumbling in the city. I walked in and looked around on the first floor and nothing of his was there. I looked up and used my x-ray vision in order to see if any othe apartment was his, no luck. I looked down with my x-ray vision and found that there was a whole lab set up in the basement.

I headed down there and looked around, checking out any left over parchment. "Mystic Marvel" was on the top, which must have meant the name of Dean's creation, after all he was a hybrid of Marvel and Zatanna. I looked at a nearby white board where it showed blueprints of a cryo-capsule, however it stated that only one was made, but I didn't see it anywhere. I went to the go into a closet to if it was in there across the room and as I stepped on the wood, I felt that under a certain amount of wood near the wall was hollow from others.

I looked down and with my x-ray vision, saw that the capsule was hidden within the floor boards. I used my strength to punch through and lifted the capsule up to me and found the contents read "Mystic Marvel". I knew it was him and so I got him out of the capsule and found he was clearly alive, I brought him back to the mansion within the med bay.

He was monitored by me for the night, but woke up about 6:00pm. I went over to him to see how he was. "It's alright, I'm here to help" I said to assure him that I meant him no harm. He then relaxes himself, "Where am I?" he asked me.

"You're in my mansion in Metropolis" I answered him calmly. "It's been 30 years in case you ask how long it's been" I added as I began a physical exam on him. "30 Years? Where's my father?" He asked a bit worried.

"You mean Dean Batson? I don't know, but what I do know is that he isn't dead" I replied appeasing him with the news. "We'll be able to find him once the new league is up and running."

"Who are you?" He asked me as I checked his heart with my hearing. "My name is Hybrid" I replied, "I know who you are Mystic Marvel". "My father named me Marvin" he said. "Alright then Marvin, my real name is Hunter." I said to him honestly as I allowed for him to get up. He sat up and then got off the table.

"How do you feel?" I asked him. "I feel like a well rested old man" He replied to me jokingly. I cracked a smile and brought him up to meet the others. "It's alive" Jane said to us as we walked up the stairs. We both chuckled and the others surrounded us.

"This is Marvin Batson, also known as Mystic Marvel" I said to them as they shook his hand. "Marvin this is Damian Wayne, Michael Byrd, Korra Ellis and my sister Jane Bromley." I said introducing the members of the team. "Nice to meet you all." He said to them kindly.

"So I take it you've been invited to join the new league as well Marvin?" Jane said curiously. "Well Jane I was going to wait until Marvin got his barrings first before I asked him. I mean it has been a long time for him" I said to her. "A league, you mean like the Justice League?" He asked me curiously.

"Well members of the old league disappeared 30 years ago and we've been building up a new league so we can defend the innocent and battle the evil." I answered. "I was going to invite you with the same invitation.".

"Will we be able to find my father?" He asked. "Of course we will" I replied honestly.

"Well then I'm in" He replied and we all welcomed him aboard as a member of the league. Suddenly out of nowhere we heard a female voice coming from the doorway. "Does that invitation also apply to me as well?" the voice said and we turned to see who it was that spoke.

In the doorway, we saw a woman with reddish-orange hair and blue eyes. She stood there and I approached her slowly, then stopped a couple feet away. "Who are you?" I asked her. "I am queen of Egypt, Femi" She replied.

"You don't look like a queen though." Jane said to her. "Looks can be decieving" She answered as her body began to take a different form. This new form was one of ancient Egyptian nature, jewelry, Ankh, cape, dress, the works.

"Well Femi, I'm impressed" I said to her and she cracked a smile. "Please sit down and tell us a bit about yourself" Jane said to her and she took a seat on the couch. She explained to use that she was queen of a city in Egypt called Tutanyma and was betrayed by a handmaiden who knew of her life as a slave prior to becoming queen. She said the sorceress cursed her and placed her in a sarcophagus for the next several thousand years.

"After that I boarded a great metal bird and headed here to seek refuge." She finished. "Well that is a tale your highness." I said to her. "I wish to look for the woman who did this to me and punish her greatly" She said to us. "Well you'll be able to if you join the new league we're creating." Jane said to her.

"Is that so?" She asked. "Absolutely Femi and we'll be able to give you the justice you deserve." I said to her with assurance. "Well I accept" She said to us. "Well then Femi, welcome aboard." I said to her and I had a Felix bring in some champagne so we could celebrate.