Chapter 5: Definitely Too Soon

~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~

Welcome to the fifth chapter of 'Details'.

Wattpad decided to give me some grief yesterday, and it was suggested by some birdies that I post another chapter just to check whether it's working properly again.
Let's see, shall we? ;)

I originally wanted to post a very small chapter within 24 hours since someone dared to call 'cliffy'.
(You know who you are.)

I had really, really planned on having just a short extra scene.

Inquiring minds wanted to know what Luke had gotten up to in the bathroom...

So I asked him.

But then his brothers wanted in and I couldn't very well lock them out of the chapter.
(Pushy fellows.)

So this happened.

Hugs,
0Restart

~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~

Chapter 5: Definitely Too Soon

Luke P.O.V.

I smiled happily at my reflection in the mirror. I looked terrible. I felt terrible too. My muscles ached and I was sure I had scratches over my back and arms, but it wasn't too hard to take my mind off of the bad things. My plan had worked, after all.

Poor Cupcake had looked terrified when we'd introduced her to Nathan, just as terrified as she'd been before the doc had lightened the mood last week.

She was obviously still uncomfortable around us and I couldn't really blame her since we'd only met once before. The addition of yet another unknown had pushed her even further into her shell.

She was kind, sweet and fun to be around, but the wary tension in her shoulders and the confused look in her eyes never went away. Her face was so expressive, you could practically hear the tone of her thoughts.

When she got really nervous, her hand would raise to her pretty mouth and push her lip to her teeth. It was adorable.

Yet, no matter how adorable her skittishness was, I really wanted to make her more comfortable around us. I had plans to stick around, after all, and I hardly wanted her so close to panic attack every time I came near her.

It was probably more than just a nervousness around strangers, however. She seemed so unused to talking to people, laughing, that alarm bells went off. Her reactions to us felt familiar. The look in her eyes was one I still occasionally saw appear in the eyes of my best friend. The confusion that appeared every time we offer to help, the need to keep her head down just in case she did something we didn't approve of.

In my chosen family, I was one of the few who'd had a somewhat decent childhood. Yes, my good-for-nothing father left me to be raised by my uncle, but at least he hadn't beat on me like he had on North. Foul man.

I had learned to laugh and play and joke around, traits I had carried from my early childhood into my 16th year. I was never abused or ignored and had always had the support of my uncle and the freedom to pursue my interests and dreams. I was lucky.