Chapter 9: Do the right thing, Sang

~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~

Welcome to the ninth chapter of 'Details'.

It's a bit dark and I feel a warning is necessary, so here it is:

this chapter contains physical and emotional abuse.

I had a hard time writing this, so I can't wait to get back to happier chapters.

Perhaps Kota will grace us with his presence soon...

Hugs,

0Restart

~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~

Chapter 9: Do the right thing, Sang  

Sang's P.O.V.

"Who gave you this?" The slamming of my bedroom door indicated Marie's exit. We were alone; I was alone. I'd known for a few years that Marie wouldn't come to my rescue anymore, but the reminder still stung. Sharp nails dug into my upper arm, wedging deeper into me with every wild yank. I didn't dare look at my mother for fear of being turned to stone.

I should have destroyed the note after I'd read it, but even in hindsight I knew that I wouldn't have been able to do that. I was far too sentimental to get rid of Silas' note—a weakness that would now cost me greatly.

"Look at me!" my mother roared next to my ear, roughly pulling me closer. Gathering my courage, I slowly opened my eyes and gulped. She was livid.

In all the times I'd angered her, I didn't think I'd ever seen her so furious. The skin of her face was blotched around her neck, rapidly reddening. The shifting of her eyes warned me of an outburst, and her deadly glare clued me in to what she wanted me to do.

I had to apologize.

I would, if I were actually sorry.

I'd known that my mother would disapprove of my newfound friendships, but I'd allowed myself to continue them regardless. No matter how guilty I felt for going against her wishes, or how worried I was about the consequences of my actions, I couldn't bring myself to regret the time I spent with them. Victor's fiery eyes and soft smile came to the forefront of my mind, and I realized that perhaps, this time, my mother was wrong.

Unable to tell the lie she was wordlessly demanding with her anger, and too pathetic to question her out loud, I resigned myself to accept whatever punishment she had planned for me.

"What have you done?" she screamed, shaking me again. I couldn't do anything but shake my head in answer. I wanted to say, "nothing," but that would have been a lie. My mother must have seen the silent defiance in my eyes, for she let out a terrifying scream, grabbed my hair with the hand that still held the crumpled note, and pulled hard, sending me flailing to the floor.

I hit the ground on my right side, reacquainting nearly healed bruises with my beige carpet. The impact brought stars to my vision and I groaned loudly, tuning out my mother's screaming. I couldn't help but take a moment to appreciate the carpet. My old room had a wooden floor, and the memories of landing on the hard surface still made me cringe. Hitting the carpet was definitely not painless, but at least it was an improvement.

That's it, Sang. Stay positive. I chuckled humorously to myself without thinking. My mother stopped her rant immediately, focusing her attention back on me. Regretting my distraction instantly, I froze, hoping that she would dismiss the sound.