Chapter 13: Counting

~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~

Welcome to the thirteenth chapter of 'Details'.

Because of my horrible timing, this remains an un-beta-ed chapter. 

I'm sure there are lots of mistakes and inconsistencies, so I will probably make some corrections later on. If you spot a mistake, please let me know! 

*sighs* I'm a mess without B. 

Hugs,

0Restart

~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~A~

Chapter 13: Counting

Sang's P.O.V.

"Kota! Where is she?"

I unclenched my fist before it hit the white wood, lightly touching the door with my fingertips instead. If I had any doubts left about Kota being, well, the Kota, they disappeared at the sound of the doctor's frantic voice.

"In the bathroom, Doc. Glad to see you made it here in one piece."

I heard something heavy hit the floor with a muted thud, then a buzzing sound. I knew I shouldn't eavesdrop, and Kota was probably aware that I could hear them, but I was hesitant to make myself known. I'd treated Dr. Sean horribly yesterday; would he be angry at me?

"Yeah, yeah. It's just a little rain," Dr. Sean huffed, as if offended at the idea that it would impede his driving somehow. "I could drive here with my eyes closed."

"Please don't do that, Doc. Take your shoes off; you're making my room look like a crime scene with your pacing. She'll be out in a moment."

"Will you, Pumpkin?" Dr. Sean called loudly, making me jump. "I'd like to take a look at you."

Busted.

I took a deep breath and pushed the door open, blushing at being caught. Kota was sitting in a chair at his desk, leaning forward with his forearms resting on his knees, fingers laced. He sent me a knowing look, but the smile tugging at his lips and the gentle warmth in his eyes put me at ease.

Dr. Sean was standing in the middle of the room, his blond, wavy hair disheveled and his jaw clenched. He had his phone in his hand. He looked worried, not angry, I noted with relief.

A dark brown leather bag lay discarded by the door, and a trail of mud and water marked the doctor's previous movements through the room. I felt a pang of guilt at making him hurry all the way here.

"There you are," he said with clearly forced cheer. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine," I wanted to say, but the words disappeared in a hoarse stutter. Embarrassed, I lifted a hand to my throat and cleared it, then tried again at a much softer volume, barely even managing a whisper. "I'm fine, Dr. Sean."

His usually cheerful green eyes showed a brief flash of anger, before he shook his head, mumbling, "Oh, Sang."

I wanted to reply, but couldn't find the right words. I wasn't even sure I could force them out if I did. Would he understand my poor excuse for sign language, like Kota? I shifted uncertainly in my spot by the bathroom door.

Dr. Sean slowly crossed over to me, as if he was worried I would run away if he moved any faster. With gentle fingertips, he lifted my chin and looked me in the eyes. There was a question there, and it felt like he expected me to understand the language of his eyes, but I didn't know how to respond.