Chapter 1 Part 3

The next day, at school, Sierra kept practicing what she was going to say to Tristan when she got her book back. Tia told her that she should just go for it, but she still wanted to be prepared. She wanted to say something flirty and interesting, but she didn’t want to seem desperate. This wasn't going to be easy.

“Sierra, hold up. Let me walk you to class, girl.”

Sierra turned and saw Reggie headed towards her and smiled.

“Stop calling me ‘girl’, Reggie.”

He bent down and whispered in her ear, “I wish I could call you ‘mine’.”

Sierra blushed and rolled her eyes, and he grinned at her.

“How about we just stick to calling me ‘Sierra’ for now?”

“I guess I could do that. But I’m still gonna try to make my wish come true.”

She couldn’t help the warm feeling that came over her at Reggie’s attention, but she didn’t want to encourage him, so she just walked on ahead.

“Come on, I have to go to my locker first, so I can get my Math book,” she told him and Reggie followed.

Tristan was at his locker when she got there.

He smiled as soon as he saw her and she forgot everything she practiced to say to him.

“Hi.”

“Hey,” she answered shyly.

“Thanks for letting me use your book.”

“No problem. You can borrow it whenever.”

“It was a big help. My head has been somewhere else with the meet this Saturday. I keep forgetting important things.” He handed the textbook back to her.

“Oh yeah, Regionals is this weekend, isn’t it?”

“It’s all I can think about.”

“I’d wish you luck, but I already know you’ll do great.”

Sierra watched color rush to his cheeks. Was he blushing? Why was he so cute?

“Will you be there? We could really use the support.”

“Ummm, I’m not sure, Tristan. I don’t really know that much about competitive swimming and I wouldn’t know anybody there.”

“You’ll know me,” he said trying to convince her. Why did he care if she came? “Come on. It would be nice to see a familiar face.”

“What time is it?”

“It starts at two o’clock.”

It wasn’t like she was doing anything. And how could she turn down the chance to see Tristan in a speedo?

“Okay, I’ll be there,” she told him.

He gave her a dazzling smile that she imagined was only for her.

“Cool. I’ll see you on Saturday.” Tristan slammed his locker closed and prepared to leave.

“Yeah, I’ll see you,” she said hugging the biology book she was holding to her chest as she gazed at him dreamily.

“See you later, Reggie,” Tristan said before he walked away.

Shit, she forgot that Reggie was standing right there. She turned to him, the way he looked almost frightened her. She'd never seen him so angry.

“What the hell was that?” he asked her, furious.

“What do you mean?”

“You can go out on dates with white boy, but you can’t get something to eat with me?”

“It’s not like that. And his name is Tristan.”

“I don’t care what his name is. All I know is that he just asked you out and you said ‘yes’.”

“It’s a school sporting event. It’s not a date.”

“Then why didn’t he invite me to go? I was standing right here.”

“I don’t know, Reggie. It’s probably because you call him ‘white boy’.”

“I’m not fucking joking. How you gonna play me like that? I’ve been asking you out for months and you always tell me ‘no’. Then Tristan asks you out and you’re all smiles and shit.” He said Tristan’s name with such disdain, like it was obscene.

“I'm telling you, it's not a date. He already has a girlfriend. Why are you even acting like this, anyway? I’m not your girlfriend.”

“Yeah, whatever, Sierra. You can walk yourself to class.”

 He walked away leaving her to stare after him.