Chapter 9

Chapter 9

        The sun was just rising as Alice woke up. Umbreon had returned several minutes before, leaving his trainer oblivious to the late night meeting with a certain purple cat.

        As she sat up and stretched slight, she thought about where they would go next. The incident with Shadow the previous night only made her want to leave Striaton that much more.

        She gathered the few things that she always carried with her, and returned Umbreon to his Pokéball for the time being. Shutting the lights off and closing the door behind her, she walked out to the front desk of the Center.

        After retrieving her other Pokémon from the ever helpful Audino, and bidding a quick goodbye to Nurse Joy, she left. She made a quick stop at the Gym/Restaurant to say goodbye to the triplet Gym Leaders, then left Striaton.

~Several Days Later~

        Alice looked blankly at the ground as she walked, consumed by her thoughts. Shadow hadn't shown up since she left Striaton, and the break from the Ex-Triad member gave her a chance to think about other things. Her mind drifted to several memories from her past. Mostly from when she was in Kanto, and the boy she met while there.

FLASHBACK START

        A ten year old Alice walked slowly through the roads of Pallet Town, a somewhat temperamental Charmander trailing behind her.

        He certainly was a stubborn little lizard. He refused to stay in his Pokéball, no matter how many times she returned him. After a while, she just gave up. One thing was for sure, their personalities certainly clashed. Then again, opposites attract, right? Little did she know that she and the little fire type would be close friends, and partners, in the future.

        As she made her way onto Route 1, her eyes remained glued to the ground, lost in her thoughts. A habit that would stick with her for years to come.

        Alice didn't notice Charmander growling until she had already walked face first into someone's chest. Blinking owlishly, she dragged her gaze upward, taking in a black T-shirt under a red and white jacket. Messy black hair was tucked under a red and white cap. The boy's red eyes gave her a blank look that rivaled her own.  He didn't look much older than she was. A Pikachu sat on his left shoulder, tiny sparks coming from its cheeks, seemingly glaring at something just behind her.

        Taking a step back, she kept her ice blue gaze locked on his crimson one. She shifted her weight onto her right foot awkwardly. She wasn't good with people. "Um... Sorry... I wasn't paying attention..." It was then that Alice noticed Charmander's hostility. The orange lizard was glaring at Pikachu, and the mouse Pokémon was glaring right back.

        The red eyed boy glanced from Charmander, to Pikachu, and back to Alice. "It's... alright..." His voice was almost as quiet as hers.

        Alice's head tilted just slightly to the side. Not the talking type, huh? We may get along just fine... She awkwardly stuck out her hand to shake, figuring she might as well introduce herself to the mostly silent boy. "My name is Alice Gray..."

        After a moment of hesitation, his hand slipped into hers. "...Red."

FLASHBACK END

        Red was the first person Alice could ever really stand to be around. He was one of the few people that she actually saw as a friend.

        He never felt the need to fill the silence with useless chatter. He was always quiet, and calm; even in battle.

        Not at all like Blue. Alice shuddered slightly. She didn't even want to think about the first time she met Blue. She was too... cheery... for her tastes.

        Green was much better than Blue to be around, in her opinion. His slightly cocky attitude annoyed her from time to time, but he was tolerable.

        Pikachu and Charmander, though, never really got along. Over time, the vehement glares that they would cast at each other in the other's presence stopped. Though it was still obvious they felt a certain degree of annoyance with the other. But, what can you do?

        A small smile came onto her face as she remembered. She still wasn't a very big fan of other people, but they were some of the few she could stand.

        Looking up from the ground of Route 4, she could just make out Nimbasa City in the distance. The top of the Ferris wheel, slowly turning, peeking up above the horizon. She should be in the city before sundown.

        Her thoughts began drifting toward the white haired young man that she hadn't seen since Striaton. Somewhere in the back of her mind, she wondered, How much longer will he be away from me...?

        She'd just have to wait and see.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

..............I have absolutely no excuse............ I just haven't felt like writing lately.... But, I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO SOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

V^V Do you have it in your heart to forgive me?

Shadow will be returning next chapter (whenever that may be >^>"), and I was wondering... Does anyone have any ideas of what he should do? I'd love to hear them. ^.^/

Ardievas! [Goodbye in Latvian] (Akane)

P.S. The picture to the side is of Red, in honor of the memory in this chapter of his and Alice's first meeting.