6

Hannah insisted I model every single stitch of clothing she threw over the fitting room door. Liz tried to reel her in to no avail. I wasn't in the mood to try on clothes, but I had to grin and bear it. They were being kind and welcoming and I wasn't going to be rude. I had to try to tolerate as much as I could.

I stepped out of the fitting rooms in yet another dress. These dresses were a far cry from the crap I had worn all my life. They were closer to my knees and much less form fitting. I had no idea what current fashion trends were, but I knew what I liked. I liked black much to Hannah's dismay. She tried to put me in several colors, but I wasn't a fan. I did like one white top and I enjoyed jeans. I had never worn them before, but they were incredibly comfortable.

"I like that. Do you?" Hannah asked.

I looked down. "Yeah. This one is nice."

"Get that one too."

"Don't be so aggressive," Liz scolded.

Hannah rolled her eyes. I heard Liz's phone ringing and watched as she dug it out of her purse to answer.

She stepped away and pressed the phone to her ear. I watched her as she talked on the phone and paced a little, just out of earshot. She looked irritated by whomever was on the other end.

"It's Cade," Hannah informed me.

"Oh."

"He's asking about you."

I rolled my eyes. "I don't see why he would."

"Because you're his mate."

"He left me."

She shook her head as if the idea truly bothered her. "I don't get it. I don't know why he's acting like this."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm serious, Tessa. This isn't like him. He used to tell me bedtime stories about finding a mate and being happy with them no matter what."

I shrugged. "Well, some people don't follow through with plans."

Liz walked back over to me with her phone outstretched. I sure as hell didn't want to talk to him. I had nothing to say to him. He made his choice and he chose Becca. It was unfortunate, but he did it.

I took her phone and pressed it to my ear like I had seen a thousand times. I had never actually talked on a phone, but I got the general idea.

"Yes?" I asked flatly.

"Are you alright?" He asked.

I was surprised by his question and what sounded like real concern in his voice.

"Physically, I'm fine. Why?"

"Cedric escaped. You need to be somewhere he wouldn't expect."

I wasn't afraid of Cedric on that level. I was afraid to have sex with him, but outside of that I didn't fear him. At least, I tried not to.

He was intimidating and I had seen what he did to people that crossed him. I hadn't betrayed anything though. I never talked about the things I witnessed or any juicy details of the Order.

"Where?"

"My mom is going to bring you here."

"To your house? No thanks. I'll take my chances with Cedric."

"This isn't a game, Tessa. He thinks you gave up the Order."

"He knows I wouldn't do that."

"My understanding is that the interrogators made it seem like you were talking which puts you in a lot of trouble."