9

A knock at my bedroom door pulled my attention to the petite brunette coming in the room. She smiled lightly at me and glanced around quickly.

"I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Olivia."

She approached me to shake my hand. I was a little weary of her since she looked like she could break me over her muscular leg, but I wasn't going to be rude. Cade told me I was safe here and even though he had been an ass, I knew he wouldn't risk my safety.

"I'm Tessa."

"Cade's mate, right?"

"News certainly travels fast."

She shrugged. "He asked me to watch over you while he was busy."

Like I was a fucking child. I knew I needed protection, but that didn't mean I had to like it. I wanted to be able to defend myself. I knew I couldn't though. Not against Master, anyway.

"So you have to babysit?" I asked sarcastically.

She let out a laugh. "Yeah. It's better than being stuck at the cells though."

"What do you do there?" I asked. If she was one of the interrogators that got me in hot water with Master I was going to be irritated with both her and Cade.

"I'm a guard. Women's wing though," she quickly added.

I nodded in acceptance. "When will he be back?"

"Beats me. He said he would be back soon."

I wondered where he went. He said he had some things to take care of, but didn't go into detail. I hoped it was kicking Becca out of that house.

"Were you doin' anything right now?" She asked.

I shook my head. "Being bored."

"Come workout with me. I could use a partner."

"Workout?" I questioned.

"Yeah. You know, exercise?"

"Oh. Women do that?" I asked.

She laughed loud like I had said something hilarious. "Yeah! How else are you gonna build some muscle on those bones?"

I didn't realize that being this thin was something undesirable. I always thought this was what men wanted.

"I'm too thin?" I asked as I looked down at my body.

Her laughter died in her throat at my question as she sobered. "I didn't mean it like that. I just meant it's always good to exercise. A little muscle never hurt anyone."

"Be honest with me," I said flatly. "Am I unattractively thin?"

She hesitated as she looked me over for a minute. I truly wanted her honesty. I wasn't so sure she would give it to me, but I needed to know. I didn't know the rules of this society. Hell, for all I knew, Becca's body type could have been more desirable than mine. If that was the case I was going to feel even worse about myself.

"I mean, you can't weigh more than a hundred pounds," she said carefully. "I can see your bones."

Maybe that was Cade's hesitation with me. Maybe he wasn't physically attracted to me. Not that I particularly cared, but it would be nice to be stronger.

"Okay," I agreed firmly. "I'll go exercise with you."

"Yeah?" She asked; her face lit up with my agreement.

"Yes. How do I do it?"

"Come on. I'll get you some clothes to wear."

I followed her out of my room and down one story. She travelled along a hallway and threw open one of the doors. The room was a far cry from my own. I preferred mine. Her's was brighter; white and mint were her colors of choice which wasn't necessarily bad, but not my taste.