15

The ride to the airport was quiet. The silence wasn't peaceful like it was with Cade. This was awkward. I wasn't sure why my parents made me feel so awkward, but I tried everything to not feel it. Cade was wrong. It was better with him to buffer the situation. Without him, I didn't know what to say to these people. They created me, but they didn't know me. I didn't know anything about them. I practically lived under a rock my entire life. I had no idea what kind of people they were. Cade seemed to think they were good though and that was the only thing I had to go on. As the realization of what I was doing set in, my nerves went wild.

"Are you okay, Tessa?" My father asked.

I forced a small smile and nodded in response. I wasn't going to make them feel like they were the cause of my discomfort. They were to a point, but I was the one working myself up.

"It's okay if you're not. This all must be very new for you."

"Yeah," I trailed. "It's just different. I mean, with Cade not here I'm just a little on edge I guess."

He nodded in response. "Have you been on a plane?"

"No."

"Well, it is an experience. I think you'll like it."

"Your father loves to fly," my mother cut in. "I can't stand it though."

I let out a light laugh at her attempt to lighten the situation. "I'm not afraid of heights so I think I'll be good."

"Your brother is going to meet us when we land. He can't wait to meet you."

I wondered if he would like me. I wondered if Aaron and Elenor would like me when they got to know me better. I knew I was a difficult person to like. I just hoped they looked beyond that. As much as I hated to admit it, I desperately wanted them to like. I had never realized how much I craved approval until I left the Order.

"Does he have a family?" I asked.

"A wife and two boys. They're going to love you," Elenor assured.

I nodded and glanced out the window.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Anything," she agreed.

"When I told you Cade was my mate, you looked like something was wrong. Why?"

She looked down at her folded hands. "Do you know how werewolf royalty works? How someone is named the ruler?"

I shook my head.

"The king and queen must have an heir before they can rule. The rightful heir is technically only created between a king and queen that are mates. So, you can imagine our shock when you told us you found your mate."

I shrugged. "I still don't understand why it's an issue."

"Well, it's not. For us, anyway. Technically speaking, your brother is not the true heir. You are."

"Me?" I asked flatly. Who the hell would put me in charge of an entire race? I couldn't even manage myself let alone thousands of wolves.

"Yes," Aaron confirmed. "I had Andrew with my first wife. He has no right to the throne."

"Then why did you give it to him?"

"We didn't know where you were or if you were still alive. We never had any other children. Andrew was the only option unless your father wanted to rule until his death, but then there would have been a power grab. It was better to keep the throne in the family."

I nodded absently as I gazed out the window. I watched the tree lined freeway whiz by when something caught my attention.

I squinted in the dark to try to make out whatever was running in the trees.