Chapter Five

Updates will be every Monday from here on out!

*Not edited*

Bryn's POV

When officer O'Conner left the building, the three of us stood still for a moment. Both men were engaged in what seemed to be a serious conversation, while I was left to look around the room, aimlessly. It was rather awkward, to say the least.

My mind was still swarming with the thoughts of leaving my family and home for who knows how long, and it was taking a bit of strength to push the tears back and stop them from resurfacing again. It didn't seem real that this was actually happening to me, but I had I to get over it and cooperate in the situation as best as I could if I wanted to make it back out of it as safely and as soon as possible. I needed to trust these people with my life, and I was trying my best to do so. It was harder than it sounds, however.

"Miss. Lassiter?" I snapped out of my own little bubble when I heard my name being called. I turned my head to see Mr. Horan staring at me intently, which caused my cheeks to heat up at the realization that he had been trying to get my attention for some time.

"Um, yes, sorry." I flushed and looked down, unable to hold eye-contact.

"It's time to go," he said, sending me smile when I looked up at him again.

"Oh, uh, okay," I stuttered. I was in a heap of panic on the inside, terrified that it was time to go already. I was hoping that the part where we actually left would be held off for a little longer.

"Great. Here, I'll take your bags." He held his hand out for my stuff and took it all from me with ease. I sent a quiet thank-you as he headed for the front door.

We had made it all the way to a black SUV that was parked across the road before I noticed that the other man, Mr. Heston, was following behind us. I wondered why, but chose to ignore the fact until a further explanation of everything was given to me. I still didn't even know where we were going, so I had more important things to worry about at the moment.

"Miss. Lassiter, please allow me to explain the following situation to you," Mr. Heston spoke, turning his face to make sure he had my attention.

"Please, call me Bryn. Miss. Lassiter is too formal for me," I requested, smiling lightly. It was obvious I was beyond nervous, as I kept moving my foot back and forth along the pavement and I was sure they could see the sweat accumulating on my hands if they looked.

"Of course. Now, we know you want to be in any other situation at the moment, but unfortunately you have to take these precautions to keep yourself out of danger. I'm just going to tell you that from this moment on, we are your trust system. You can trust us with any information you know, or anything that you find out. You essentially need to trust us with your life, especially Niall." He glanced at Mr. Horan who stood beside me and then back to me. I took at quick look at the young man myself, and blushed as I made eye-contact. I was so awkward around new people, it was hard for me not to be.

"I know." I nodded.

"You can do that?" He asked, making sure I was comfortable with this right from the start. And I was, in a sense. I mean, I was sort of out of my comfort zone by going with a bunch of people I had just met, and I was very shy with at the moment, but I did trust them. This was their job, they had done it all before probably numerous times and they were used to it. They were trained for this sort of thing, and the whole purpose of me being in their custody is to stay safe; of course I had to trust them. I had no other choice.

"Yes."

"Good. We have decided that you and Niall will be located in Manhattan. You will be leaving now." He stated, smiling again. I immediately started getting more nervous knowing that I would be on my way soon and I would be left alone with my new guard who I had yet to get to know. I supposed Manhattan wasn't too far away, considering I live in Brooklyn and as I was expecting to be headed to somewhere further. I wasn't complaining, however. I took that as great news.