Chapter One - September

Calibrachoa and Cyclamen^

Also, I added the same music piece to the prologue, but I feel as if it matches the first chapter better. I'll be adding a piece of music to every chapter.

~~~

September was never a good month. The seasons changed from warm to cold, and the dreadful school days began. September was a reminder of the terrible upcoming school year you were forced to face. More work, worse teachers, and more assholes. More tiring homework that I obviously wouldn't get done.

The Monday school started, I woke up early in the morning, got ready, then headed off with Mikasa. We met up with Armin along the way, who seemed happier and chirpier than usual. He was the type of kid that looked forward to the next school year at the end of one, and thought about school for the entire summer. It paid off. He was smart, had a vocabulary ten times the size of mine, and was surely on the road to becoming a valedictorian when we graduated next year. Armin was better than a perfect student.

As the three of us walked along, I watched the leaves fall from the trees, swirling and blowing in the cool wind. Armin and Mikasa were talking about their classes, in which they shared together. I had a few classes with each of them, but I would be on my own for the rest. Being alone wasn't something new to me. Mikasa was my sister and lived with me, but she had other friends that she enjoyed spending time with, like Sasha and Annie. Armin was always off with Jean, his boyfriend of nearly two years, leaving me by myself. Of course I was always welcomed to hang out with Armin and Jean, but my relationship with the latter wasn't the best. The best way to explain it was that I certainly wouldn't hesitate to throw a few punches at him if given the chance.

Obviously, I was much more stressed out about school than the other two. They joined clubs, sports, and did extracurricular things that would bump their grades up greatly. But I didn't. I could run when I needed to, but I wasn't interested in joining sports such as volleyball, basketball, baseball, or even soccer. They just didn't interest me. Armin tried numerous times to get me to join the clubs he was in, like math, architecture, literature, and student council, but none of them interested me either. I was a boring person that did boring things. I drew, but no one knew that. I hid my sketchbooks at the back of my closet in an old backpack that I no longer used. Not even Mikasa new, and she was the one person I shared almost everything with.

As we neared the school, my ears were greeted by the sound of teenagers shouting and happily squealing once they caught sight of the friends they haven't seen all summer. Hearing their happiness made me frown. I wasn't happy, yet I wasn't sad. I was neutral. I guess I was jealous of them, clutching onto their friends for life and spewing words of love repeatedly. I wondered what it was like to be in love. I imagined it like a dream; the warm summer breeze, the feeling of sipping something warm after coming in from the cold, waking up and seeing all that fresh white powder on the ground when you looked outside. I imagined love was all of those great feelings squished into one emotion.

"Erwin!" Armin chirped happily at the sight of his friend. The two grew close over the summer ever since they met at the library. Jean never seemed to excited whenever Erwin was around Armin though.

Armin skipped off to see Erwin who was talking to a shorter ginger girl. I recognized her from my social studies class last year. She was sweet and even tried to be my friend a few times, but I was much too...well, me, to let her. Petra was her name, or at least I thought it was. I never paid much attention to her when she would speak to me.

"Eren, do you want me to walk you to your first class?" Mikasa tugged my sleeve to get my attention, so I gave her a smile that I hoped made up for my quietness.