Chapter Eleven - Nitid

music by the caveboi. (((hes getting so popular now im so shook for my bean)))

~~~~~~~~

Levi

"Come on, Levi!"

I practically winced as I paused my playing to look at Charles, who was staring at me as if I just hit him across the face. The rest of the orchestra quietened at his sudden outburst. He hadn't even signaled them to stop. But I supposed if a loud man like him shouted, it was smart to silence.

"Sorry," I said quickly, but he didn't continue conducting as he usually would've. He only continued glaring at me, staring down his menacing, hooked nose, and glinting square glasses

"You need to match the tempo," he said sternly. He spoke to me as a parent would to scold their child. It was unorthodox, but I understood why. I could hardly keep up, even if I was doing fine only last week. It was almost as if my playing was slowly deteriorating. "If you don't-"

"I know," I interrupted quickly, sending a glance at Benjamin in his place in the second row. He gave me a sheepish, somewhat reassuring smile, but I only looked away. I was getting tired of getting told he could take my place. "I can do it."

"Then do it," he ordered, speaking through his teeth. I could tell I was starting to get on his nerves. Hell, I was getting on my own nerves, but I couldn't help it. My mind was wandering everywhere else but the task at hand.

But even with my doubt, I kept my exterior confident, and tucked my violin back under my chin as Charles raised his hands. When I gave him a nod to signal I was ready, he waved with both hands and everyone began playing in unison.

I closed my eyes as I followed along with the beginning of the song, a calm, yet eery tune. As the soloist, I could feel everyone's eyes on me, matching my speed, and listening for their cues. With a sharp intake of breath as our playing crescendoed, everyone silenced as I fled into my solo, my eyebrows furrowing in concentration. I kept my eyes closed, playing the notes from muscle memory, having had engraved the movements into my fingers for months now. I breathed evenly. I kept my mind clear. I imagined I was on stage to keep my composure sturdy. It seemed to be working; we progressed further into the song than we had all day.

As everyone else joined in once again, I relaxed, less tense now that all the attention was no longer completely on me. Playing was unbearably intense. It was stressful, and I wasn't used to it. I played to relieve my stresses, not to gain them. But as the lead, I knew the responsibility came with an incredible amount of stress. I knew it the second I signed my name on the audition sheet. And honestly, for the opportunities and scouts that would be viewing the performance, I'd put up with it any day. I saw this as my real shot; get noticed by a scout, get recruited to a good music school, and leave the second the coming summer ends.

But for now, I'd have to play without screwing up.

I let my eyes fall shut as another solo approached, the others falling into a soft piano volume. Again, I imagined I was on stage as all silenced except for my own quick playing. This one was quicker, and required more focus. I kept my eyes shut tight, focusing purely on my sound and my speed. Behind my eyelids, I imagined the bright spotlights of the stage. I pictured the sleek floor beneath my feet, and rows and rows and people, all listening. I could tell I was doing good. Great, perhaps.