Chapter Four - Hipster

"So, yes or no?"

I signalled for Levi to wait a moment while I put my books in my locker and took out my bag. He leaned on the lockers patiently, his gaze trained on me. Since class ended for the day it seemed like he hadn't look away from me once, not even for a second. He insisted on walking me to my locker, but I soon found out it was only because he wanted to ask if I still wanted to do that get-to-know-him-thing, which I was seriously debating. He flips out at me, only to forgive me after I make a complete fool out of myself because he thought it was 'cool'. I didn't see what was so cool about my struggling to put my thoughts into words in front of about twenty-five people.

"I don't think it's worth it," I answered as I shut my locker, only to meet his confused gaze.

"What do you mean?" He asked a little defensively.

I glanced around, and sure enough people were still staring at us. They had been ever since I walked out of the class beside Levi. I looked back at him as I slung my bag over my shoulder. "I mean, an attempted friendship with you isn't worth it if I have to constantly walk on eggshells in fear you'll blow up at me," I answered as I walked past him. I wasn't surprised when he followed me.

"That was a one time thing," he insisted. I laughed dryly at this. "You totally deserved it, spying on me like that."

"I stood out there waiting for someone I barely know. I should've yelled at you, but I'm mature and saw you had something important going on. By the way, your playing is quite lovely," I said as we exited the building. I began speeding up to where Mikasa and Armin stood waiting for me near the school gates. "You owed me an apology more than I owed you one."

I was pulled to face him when he grabbed my arm. When I looked down he wasn't glaring, but looking a little sincere, maybe even desperate in an odd sense. He shifted his feet, seemingly uncomfortable with the situation.

"I'm sorry, Eren," he finally said, wincing like it physically hurt him to apologize. "Now, will you do me the honour of listening to me ramble about myself?"

I glanced past him at Mikasa and Armin, who noticed me and were watching curiously. Mikasa looked unsettled, and Armin looked purely confused. I looked back to Levi whose eyes were closed as if mentally cursing himself.

"Sure," I said. He opened his eyes and looked up at me. "Politeness goes a long way, Levi. But first I need to let my friends know I won't be walking with them."

When I had successfully told Mikasa and Armin I would be going with Levi in the gentlest way I could manage - mostly not to anger Mikasa - I left in the opposite direction with him. He had said we would be going to a park near his house, since - a subtle fact about himself - the weather was quite nice and he didn't feel like being inside. I agreed to this, because I felt the same about the reasonable weather. It was only a matter of time before it would become cold and bitter outside.

As we walked across the short field of the park, I kicked the dead leaves that had fallen on the ground, enjoying the quiet crunches my feet were causing. Levi noticed my subtle stomping and shook his head at me, before walking ahead and seating himself in one of the swings. I followed, set my stuff on the ground, then began swinging myself only slightly.

"Twenty-One Questions," Levi decided as he also began swinging himself. I found the action quite odd; a darkly dressed, angry guy swinging on a child's play swing. "You ask, then I ask, and so on, but answer the question your asking as well."

"Alright," I thought for a moment. "Your favourite colour. Mines blue."

"Red isn't bad," he answered, and I took notice of the way he worded it. He never said he liked it in particular, but that it simply wasn't as bad as the others were. "Hobbies. I do music and that's it, but never mention it to anyone."