Chapter Three - Avoiding Death

When I returned home earlier than I said I would be, I decided I wouldn't let the small argument I had with Levi bother me; we hardly knew each other after all. He didn't matter. I decided to worry about the book report that I would have to do over the weekend. I spent nearly the entire week reading the one inch thick book, and now had to write a full page summarizing what the book was about, another page about what kind of message the author was trying to send the readers, and another about what I thought about the message, and a last paragraph that should make others want to read the book for themselves; a recommendation of sorts.

I plopped into my desk chair with an annoyed huff. I didn't bother shutting my door, knowing Mikasa would invade my room in a matter of minutes. I wasn't surprised when I heard her door open from across the hall, and quiet footsteps coming closer. I pretended not to notice her peek in, and pulled my laptop out instead, then began digging in my bag for my notes.

"Eren?" She asked.

"Come in," I replied.

I set my stuff up, and by the time she settled herself to sit on my bed I was logged on and staring at an empty document, my hands hesitating over the keys.

"Book report?" She guessed.

I nodded. "Yeah. Did you need something?" It came out as a little rude, but I was still tense from Levi's sudden outburst.

"Well," I could hear the worry in her tone, and I began preparing myself for another motherly lecture she was sure to give me, probably something about how I should come straight home after school. "Armin said he seen you talking to that guy in class."

This piqued my interest, so I turned in my chair to face her. She sat on my bed with her legs crossed, eyeing me carefully. "What guy?" I asked.

"Levi," she answered distastefully. "The one who's been spotted smoking on school grounds, probably a drug user, always gets detention, gets in fights, and-"

"Woah," I raised my hands up, stopping her rant. I didn't know Levi did any of those things. I didn't even know he existed until a little while ago. "How do you know these things?"

She rolled her eyes. "Everyone knows these things, Eren. He's not someone you should be hanging out with."

From the way he spoke I never would've guessed he did those things. He seemed too mature for it, like everything was below him. He seemed like the type to look down on drugs, fights, smoking, and misbehaving. And the way he played the violin also made it hard to believe Mikasa.

"Just rumours," I insisted. "He isn't like that. I know him," but I didn't know him. And I didn't know why I was defending him either.

"I'll tell mom and dad," she threatened. "They'll ground you until graduation next year if they hear you're hanging out with that type of person."

"Too bad, because I don't give a shit," I turned back to face my computer. "I'll hang out with whoever I damn please."

With a huff, she got up and stormed out of my room, slamming the door on the way out. I probably should've mentioned that Levi no longer wanted me to speak to him and probably hated me, but I didn't want to give her the satisfaction.

I continued to work on my book report - which had to be in by Monday - until dinner, taking small breaks every half hour or so. I was called down to eat by my mother, and when I got there Mikasa was already at the table. I decided to eat in my room, partly because I still wanted to work and partly to avoid her - mostly to avoid her.

While I ate I browsed the internet, scrolling through Facebook and whatnot. Social media usually didn't interest me, but I knew I wouldn't be able to focus on my report while eating at the same time. I stopped scrolling when something caught my view. It was a picture Isabel posted. It was her with Levi, him looking rather grumpy and her smiling. Just by looking at it I could tell she forced him into the photo.