Chapter 4

I awoke in a white room with some filing cabinets and a skeleton. How did I get here? I thought while taking a deep breath. It hurt, so I got up to look in a nearby mirror. I had red hand marks on my neck. Oh yeah. This must be the nurses office. I walked out the door into a sort of front office and asked what time it was.

"Fifth period is about to end. You can go to your locker and get your stuff ready for sixth." I gave the woman a soft 'thanks' and headed to my locker.

------

I arrives at my locker and dropped off my stuff. The bell then rang, and I headed to Mrs. Henning's cooking class.

I was early so I got one of the empty tables with four extra seats near me. Then a group of people walked into the room.

"Mari!" I heard Cayla's excited voice proclaim. "Your ok!"

"I thought you went home after I dropped you off." Ben added.

"Well, at least your ok!" Rick jumped in.

"Yeah, I thought you were a gonner!" Freddy replied. "Until Ben said you were breathing.

I smiled. So this is what it's like to have multiple people care for you. I thought happily. Fred and Cayla sat on my left and Ben and Rick sat on my right. We watched more people file into the room. A lot of people were looking at me. The same white haired girl from math was there, Cecelia, that Freddy guy from art, and...BB. I tried not to look at him, but I knew he was looking at me. Then the bell rang.

"Hello class. I'm Mrs. Henning, as you all may know." A woman said at the front of the classroom. "Today, we are going to make a small cake. Two layers at the max, and your flavors are in front of you." I looked down and saw two packs of vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry cake mixes. "Now, you may begin!"

We assigned parts to each other. Cayla started the bottom layer, - it was going to be the biggest - Fred and Rick were doing the icing, and Ben and I were doing the top layer. We decided to make the cake a mixture of all the flavors, without mixing them together. I started on the vanilla and Ben did the chocolate and strawberry flavors. Our little island for cooking was pretty big, so we each got a corner with our partners.

"To be honest," Ben said, leaning close enough for me to hear him whisper. "I thought you were dead too. Your hand marks were really red."

"Well, I'm still alive!" I replied, trying to lift his sprit.

He laughed a little then went back to mixing.

"Did you know BB was in this class?" I asked.

"Yeah, but the four of us usually hang out together, with Gold as well."

"Cool."

"So, why did you move here, not trying to be rude."

"Well, my mom's work got shifted from our old place, Whinchester, to here in Yurano."

"Cool." Ben said back. "I'm glad I got to meet you."

"Me too!" I smiled at him, and he smiled back.

"Hey," Ben asked. "There is a Christmas dance coming up this Friday, and I was wondering if you were going?"

"I'm not a big fan for dances, but I could try."

"Awesome! It'll be great to have all my friends there!"

I sat there, stirring all the ingredients together, thinking about what Ben had just said. Am I really friends with these people now? I thought. They still feel like strangers to me. Oh well.

We all finished mixing, and put our things into the oven. We waited, and I looked up at the clock over the door.

"Guys!" I exclaimed. "We only have twenty minutes!" They all looked as worried as I was. The oven went off, and we started to put on the icing.

The cake looked good. Before we put it in the oven, we put the flavors near each other in the same pan, vanilla on the left, chocolate in the middle, and strawberry on the right. We decided on white chocolate icing, so Ben and I started on the top layer, and Cayla, Fred and Rick started the bottom.

------

We finished our cake with seven minutes left. Ben and I added red roses with green vines around the edges since we were both good at art. Cayla and I carried it over to Mrs. Henning's desk that was cover with everyone else's cakes. She would tell us all tomorrow who won. The bell rang, and we all filed out.

Ben walked with me to my locker.

"Do you want a ride home?"

"Sure I guess. Let me tell my mom." I got out my phone.

"We should exchange numbers!"

"Sure." I put mine down as a contact on Ben's phone, and he did the same. I grabbed my stuff and we headed out.

Ben had a red convertible, and everyone else was waiting around it.

"Where's Gold?" Ben asked.

"He wanted to walk. That butt." Fred told him.

"Oh well, let's go!" Cayla exclaimed.

Ben got in the drivers seat, I sat in the passenger, and Rick, Cayla, and Fred sat in the back. I told Ben how to get to my house from the school, and we headed off. We talked about normal things, like funny storied before I came here, and I told them about my other friend, Gideon. They seemed to think he was cool from my stories, which he was, and I listened to their stories.

"Are you going to the Christmas dance this Friday Mari?" Rick asked.

"Yeah, but I'll have to tell my mom." Everyone but Ben 'hurrayed', and we then arrived at my small little home. Everyone said goodbye, and I went inside.

Mom wasn't home, so I went to my room. I looked in the mirror at my neck. The marks were gone now, hopefully the he school didn't call her, which they probably did. I laid down on my bed and took a nap, waiting for mom to come home and make dinner.