Chapter 7

I woke up on Saturday, still happy about what happened last night at the dance. I went down the stairs from my room to get some breakfast when I saw a note:

Dear Mari,
Good morning! I made some pancakes, there in the fridge. I had to go to work, and I may not be back till about 8 at night. You can have a friend over if you like.
-Mom

I put down the note and heated up three pancakes. I then felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. It was Ben.

Ben: good morning! How r u?

Me: fine. What bout u?

Ben: good.

Mari: hey, do u want to see if the others want to hang out at my place? My mom don't care.

Ben: give me a sec, I'll ask them.

He stopped texting me right as my pancakes went off in the microwave. I grabbed the cinnamon and syrup and started putting them on my pancakes.

Ben still didn't respond, so I sat down and watched whatever what on, which was 'Oz the Great and Powerful' the movie.

I finished my food when my phone went off.

Ben: ok. Everyone's coming except Gold.

Me: Sweet! I'll get some snacks!

Ben: what time u want us over?

Me: u can come over now if u want. I just need to put on some clothes.

Ben: awesome! C u l8er!

Me: bye!

I put down my phone and threw away my plate. I went back upstairs and changed into a dark red shirt that was big so I put a black tank top underneath, black leggings, and I slipped my dark green house slippers on, even though the house is mostly carpet. I got out some games, like Monopoly and Scrabble, a few movies from my mom's collection, and I grabbed some snacks. I took two big blue bowls and in one put Cool Ranch Doritos and the other I filled with ice and put some Pepsi and Coke in it. Then the door bell rang. It was the guys, Cayla and Tris.

"You came Tris?" I asked her.

"Are you kidding? I love hanging out with friends! I never miss an opportunity!" She told me.

I let everyone in. Cayla, Ben and I sat on the couch, and Tris, Fred, and Rick sat on the floor. I set up Monopoly and we started playing.

I looked at everyone. Tris had her hair in a bun on the top of her head. She had her Nike glasses on too. She wore a blue flannel, black leggings, and black, pink, and orange Nike shoes. Cayla had her hair down, wore a pink sweatshirt, yellow leggings, and white Converses. All the boys were wearing normal clothes, like jackets and pants (sorry, got lazy describing the clothes, just keep up with me). I reached over and grabbed a Pepsi, and everyone else grabbed a pop too.

We soon finished Monopoly, Tris being the winner, and started deciding what to play next.

"Anyone have any ideas?" I asked.

"Do you have a Wii?" Tris replied. I nodded. "Ok! I brought my copy of Just Dance 2014, so we can play that!" Everyone else agreed, so we moved the couch and coffee table out of the way.

We all got in groups of two (Ben and me, Cayla and Tris, and Fred and Rick). Ben and I were up against Cayla and Tris. They went first, and we had to beat their score. Tris picked the song "Come On", so she and Cayla started dancing. There was a part where Cayla had to jump onto Tris's back, and she was pretty strong. They had a final score of 1,253. I was the girl, while Ben watched the Panda when it was our turn. We ended up with 1,254 points, just barely beating the other two.

We all got excited when the door bell rang.

"Hang on!" I yelled and went over to the door. Mom wasn't going to be home until 8, so I didn't know who it was.

It was Gideon.

His dark brown hair was behind his ears, his green eyes sparkling. He wore a red sweatshirt and black sweats.

"Gideon!" I said, shocked. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to tell you in person-" He started but was cut off.

"Your the one who hurt her feelings?" Rick asked.

"Yes," Gideon admitted, then looked back at me. "And I really am sorry. That morning my mom got me in a mood, and I say things that I don't mean. Can you forgive me Mari?"

I had to think on this. "How do I know your telling the truth?" He then did the unthinkable.

He kissed me.

I stood there, uterly shocked. My eyes stayed open while his were closed. He put his hand on the back of my neck, giving me goosebumps. He then pulled away.

"Do you believe me now?" He asked, and walked away. "I'll text you tonight!"

I just stared at him. I then tucked my lips. Why did he do that? I asked myself. I'm mean, yeah, I've been waiting my whole life for Gideon to kiss me, but I didn't expect it to be with a group of my friends after he sent a rude text to me.

I shut the door and walked over to the couch, Ben plopping down next to me.

"Are you ok?" He asked me.

"I don't know." Is all I could reply with. "I mean, I did like him, but I never thought he liked me back. Plus that was my first kiss."

Everyone gasped.

"Congrats girl!" Tris said, ending the silence. "Let's play some more games!"

I nodded, and we played some more of Just Dance 2014.

                          ------

Everyone left in Tris's blue mini van, except Ben. He said he wanted to chat with me.

Cayla shut the door behind her when she left and Ben sat down next to me.

"Hey," Ben asked. "Was that Gideon? Your old friend?" I nodded. "He didn't seem like he was honest."

"About what?"

"About wanting to be your friend again."

"What do you mean by that? I mean, what about the kiss?"

"I think he faked it."

"What does that mean? How could you tell?"

"Because..." He started leaning over to me. Then, he kissed me.

We stayed like that for a little while. His kiss felt different from when Gideon kissed me. Ben's had more... feeling to it.

He then pulled away. "His didn't feel like that, did it?"

I shook my head, surprised that Ben would actually KISS me.

"Why?" I asked him.

"Why what?"

"Why would you kiss me? I'm ugly, and my dad's a-" He put a finger over my lips.

"Don't you ever compare yourself to that man. Your nothing like him. And you aren't ugly. Don't listen to those kids at school. They don't know you like I do." He lowered his finger and I smiled from his flattering words. Ben leaned over and kissed me on the check. "I think we should start dating."

I sat in shock once again. I didn't know what to say. Yes, I did like Ben, but I still liked Gideon. I then made up my mind...