Chapter 5

Today was the day of the Christmas dance. It started at 1:30, so we were on a complication schedule. Today, I wore a black dress with a hint of purple that went up to my knees with black legging under it (my mom wanted me to dress nice), and black flats. I went to my locker when my mom dropped me off to grab all my things.

I saw Rick when I walked in the science room and I headed toward him. I was at the opposite end of the row, when someone sat in my seat. I knew that yellow ponytail anywhere. Rick looked around her shoulder, then stood up and headed toward me. Cecelia turned around, and frowned when she saw it was me.

"Ricky." She said, as if trying to hypnotize him. "Where are you going?"

"To sit near my friend." He responded, not looking at her. We both sat at the two empty seats at my end of the row. She got up, and right before he sat down, she plopped into his lap.

"Why don't you wanna sit with me, Ricky?"

"Cause you were mean to my friend yesturday."

"No I wasn't!"

"I saw you pour the milk into her hair, you were holding the carton! Just go away. You have a boyfruend, anyways." Cecelia then got up with a mad look on her face, and went to her seat.

"You really don't have to do this." I told him.

"Do what? Stick up for a friend who didn't do anything?"

"We still aren't friends."

"How about we start?"

"No, I don't need any."

"Everyone-" I cut Rick off.

"Look!" I said with a mad tone. "I don't need friends, ok? I already have a really great friend at home and he wouldn't do anything to hurt me!" My phone then started vibrating (we could have our phones out if we didn't text and they were on vibrate). It was a text from Gideon.

Gideon: Hey, sorry but I don't think I want to be your friend anymore. We just don't have anything in common, sorry.

I sat there with my mouth open, staring at my phone. I felt my eyes start to water, but I refused to cry. I looked over at Rick. He was looking at me.

"I think he just did." He wasn't bragging or anything, he sounded...sorry. Really sorry for me. I then burst into soft tears and Rick pulled me into a hug. I could feel the tears coming straight down my face, probably leaving purple streaks under my eyes.

The bell went off and I leaned back from Rick and started wiping my eyes. He looked at me.

"Do you where makeup? Cause its running."

"No," I replied. "It's a medical condition."

"Ok, sorry for asking. And if you ever need me or any of the others, just let them know." We then waited for Mr. Ulmeck to start the class.

                          -----

I walked into Mrs. Lipscomb's room and sat down next to Ben. He looked at me.

"So, what's with the getup?" He said, gesturing to my clothes.

"I'm going to the dance, remember?"

"No, sorry I forgot. But I'm still going. And so is everyone else."

"Cool!" I said excitedly.

"I even got a tuxedo."

"Fancy."

Then little old Brady had to walk over and ruin our chat.

"I see you feel better now." He smirked. "You really deserved that, you know?"