Chapter 29

Chapter 29

We were allowed to go home the next day, and when I say we I mean Luca and I. Nathan had stayed the night and we’d spend the majority of the time watching him, not quite believing he was our son, the rest of the time I slept, because having a baby is tiring and I knew that once we got home we would be waking up at ridiculous hours. Luca woke up at just after one in the morning and again at five, both times Nathan went to him which I was grateful for.

Apparently all the boys except Siva had gone out and celebrated everything that had happened yesterday ,and so weren’t able to give us a lift back to our apartment. I’d called my mum instead and she happily agreed to pick the three of us up, wanting to see her first grandson again (even though she had seen him the day before). Nathan wore grey sweats, a white shirt and one of his famous baseball caps as he carried Luca in the baby carrier to my mums awaiting car. I was stuck with the baby bag but I didn’t mind since I still felt a bit weird from giving birth yesterday.

We put Luca in the backseat, Nathan sat one side and I sat the other, my mum was asking all sorts of baby relating questions, some I didn’t even know the answer to which made me feel like I was a bit of a bad mum. As we stopped at the traffic lights some idiot to the side of us decided to blare their horn as loud as they possibly could causing Luca to start half crying half screaming. For waking him up from his sleep, Nathan gave to driver the finger before we both began doing everything we could to stop him from crying. Nath rocked the seat backwards and forwards gently while I pulled the most random and silliest faces. After around five minutes of crying he eventually stopped, looking around and up at us for a few minutes before his eyes closed and he drifted back to sleep again. I think it was my weird faces that did it.

The journey that should have taken us ten minutes actually took twenty but I didn’t mind the extra time it took since I had two rather large (or one large one small) distractions next to me. My mum helped me carry a few things in before putting the kettle on for us while we settled in with a plus one. My mum left shortly afterwards wishing us luck on our first day with him and telling us to call her if we needed her. While I took a quick shower as I felt like I really needed it, Nathan took control of looking after Luca, the entire time I was in the shower I had the biggest grin on my face knowing that waiting for me out there were my fiancé and son. Even though we physically now had Luca with us it didn’t feel real, I probably say that a lot, but it really did feel too good to be true.

When I walked into the living room Nathan was laying on the floor next to Luca who was on his back kicking his legs at nothing in particular. I grabbed my phone and snapped a picture, it was moments like this that you just wanted to keep forever, even if it was just a still picture. “Hey” I smiled sitting on the floor next to Nath, he pulled me into his side before his lips found mine. “I’m so freaking happy right now Lau, you’ve made me the happiest man alive” I giggled looking down at Luca, “Well I couldn’t have produced this little man if it wasn’t for you” I winked teasing him, he rewarded me with a trail of kisses which I took without any hesitation.

We then decided to take a picture of all three of us together, Nathan laying one side of Luca, me the other, it took a few snaps before we managed to get a decent one due to Luca’s constant moving, but the final one we took bought a huge grin to my face. “Do you think I should post it on Twitter?” Nathan asked, I didn’t need to think about it I nodded my head, it was just like telling your extended family.

We didn’t hang around to see what everyone’s reaction to the newest member of the family was, though I was aware he’d also told them about our engagement too. Instead Nathan picked up Luca carrying him to his new nursery room, laying him down in his crib and pulling the blanked over his tiny body. “Shall we leave him and see if he goes to sleep on his own?” I asked Nath, he nodded so I grabbed the baby monitor, turning the one beside Luca on so we could hear him whenever he made a sound.