Chapter 1 - First Day Of High School

It was an early sunny morning when Zoey woke up feeling excited. It was her birthday today and the first day of high school. Not only that, Chase, her best friend will be giving her the surprise birthday present he's been acting very secretive about.

Swiftly she rushed to the bathroom and started to shower. 10 minutes later, she finished showering and started to find clothes to wear. Zoey finally picked a floral shirt saying 'Good Vibes' with blue shredded denim shorts. Running downstairs she grabbed her brand new school bag, went to the kitchen to give her mother a kiss goodbye, eat her breakfast and left the house to catch the school bus.

As Zoey was walking to the bus stop she saw Chase first. He kept looking around the area, almost like he was trying to find someone. Slowly sneaking towards him, she jumped right onto his back and yelled "BOO!"

"Zo! Get off my back!" yelped Chase surprised.

Laughing, Zoey got off and with a happy smile asked "Do you know whose birthday is it today?"

"Obviously," answered Chase sarcastically.

"A-duh," Zoey replied sticking her tongue out at him.

While Chase took the present out from his pocket, Zoey appreciatively looked at a nearby bush filled with bright red roses while waiting.

"Okay, close your eyes," said Chase smirking as he held the present hidden in his hand.
Squealing, Zoey covered her eyes with her hands.

"Okay, you can open them now," laughed Chase.

Opening her eyes, Zoey gasped in amazement and happiness. Chase had gotten her a necklace. In the middle of the necklace rested a locket in a shape of a golden heart.

"Chase, it's beautiful," said Zoey with a big smile on her face.

Walking behind her, Chase helped Zoey to clasp the necklace on her neck. Looking down onto the locket, Zoey noticed a sentence carved into it that said 'To my awesome best friend, happy birthday from Chase'.

Smiling with a grin that could've beaten the Cheshire Cat's, Zoey opened the locket and gasped. Inside the locket laid a perfectly fitted picture of Chase and Zoey together when they were in elementary school.

Turning around, Zoey hugged Chased tightly "Thank you so much Chase, I love it and I will treasure it forever."

When the bus appeared at their stop, Zoey and Chase went inside and sat down together talking and laughing all the way until they reached their school. Walking towards their lockers to take their books for History class, Zoey saw Jonathan. Jonathan was a basketball player in their school's team. He had deep green eyes, lush brown hair, and Zoey had a massive crush on him. But of course, it was a secret and he doesn't know it.

Zoey couldn't help but stare dreamily at Jonathan while he talked to his friends while leaning on her locker. Chase noticed Zoey's behavior and called her name but there was no response. After calling her again and received no response, Chase pushed Zoey from her behind making her fall down like a sack of potatoes and landing on her butt.

"Hey!" Zoey cried out in shock and anger. "Why did you push me down? My butt hurts because of you!"

"Whatever do you mean? I didn't push you down," Chase said smirking innocently.

"I know that smirk anywhere, don't lie to me!"

Chase rolled his eyes and directed his attention back to the books in his locker. Sneakily, Zoey reached out her hand and pushed him down like he pushed her.

"WOAH!!!" Chase yelled out in shock. As he fell down, the bell rang out signaling the beginning of the first day of school. Laughing cheekily, Zoey scurried to class quickly leaving Chase on the floor with a scowl on his face.