Chapter 16 - This Is What Makes Me Happy

School had just ended and Zoey was on her way to the main entrance to meet up with her sister to do some shopping for prom. Zoey couldn't help but smile dreamily after today's events with Chase. It was so romantic and she felt like as if she was floating on a cloud. Humming to herself, reminiscing she didn't notice her surroundings until she bumped straight into a familiar hard chest.

Zoey stumbled backwards slightly, startled, "Oh! I'm sorry! ..... Jonathan?" Zoey looked at Jonathan in surprise at first and then a sense of awkwardness overcame her. Ever since they've returned from the Paris program, she and Jonathan had stopped talking to each other altogether. They've seen each other in the halls but it was always at a distance where they couldn't make eye contact. Half of Zoey felt glad that Jonathan wasn't in the same classes as her, not only would it be insanely weird and awkward, it would've been really difficult for Zoey to act normal or even learn in class with him around. She missed him sometimes, and she always felt sad that she lost a friend in the process but still, she had no regrets who she chose and she was glad that she was able to move on from all the tense drama that has happened and feel content and happy with her life.

Jonathan looked at Zoey in return, surprise and awkwardness also etched into his face. "Uhhh.. Hi," he mumbled. " I heard that Chase asked you out to prom during class?" asked Jonathan.

"Uh, yeah. It's true," said Zoey smiling at him politely. A moment of silence came over both of them, awkwardness hanging in the air. Finally Jonathan spoke up earnestly. "Zoey, I want to tell you something."

"Um, sure. What is it?" asked Zoey starting to feel a bit worried.

"I just wanted to say that, I've accepted that even though we aren't and won't be together, I'll always love you and if this makes you happy then, well, I'm happy too." said Jonathan shyly with a small smile.

Zoey smiled gently, a warm feeling in her heart, "Thank you Jonathan." Zoey reached out and hugged Jonathan softly. "Thank you for supporting this."

As they hugged, Jonathan felt a sense of peace wash over him although he also still felt like his heart has been hit by ten arrows. Over the two years, Jonathan could not stop thinking about the days that has passed since he first met Zoey all the way till now. Seeing her in the halls at a distance, smiling, laughing, with Chase. It always pierced his heart. After much thought, he had come to realise that his past behaviour towards Zoey and Chase was unacceptable and in the end, that they were always meant for each other and he couldn't, shouldn't do anything about it. If you love someone, you should make that person happy, even if it means you have to let them go, even if it hurts you.

Releasing her hug, Zoey took a step back, a gentle smile on her face. "I've got to go now. But are you going to prom tomorrow?"

"Yeah, I'm going with a friend," answered Jonathan smiling brightly.

"That's great! I'll see you tomorrow then. Bye!" said Zoey as she raised her hand and walked off.

Jonathan put his hand out in a wave "Goodbye Zoey, I love you," he murmered to the disappearing figure.

Zoey ran out to the entrance of the school to see her sister already waiting for her. Honking the hond her sister shouted "GET IN THE CAR!!!"

Rushing into the passenger's seat she shut the door with a loud thud. "Chillax, Avery! The prom is tomorrow!" Laughing, her sister shrugged and drove to the mall.

When they reached the mall, Zoey and Avery immediately found a beautiful gown in the window of a fancy shop. It looked magical. With excited and glimmerimg eyes, Zoey and her sister went in.

The dress's colours and design were extraordinary. It was a beautiful pale purple mixed with a light pastel blue and turquoise. Off shouldered; crossing the back, the bottom of the dress glittered with a delicate embroidery of sequins in a pattern of swirls that intricately twisted its way to the top. Taking the dress out of the rack, Zoey held it out against her smiling, "I'll try this one."