12 | Hurricanes & Thunderstorms

Carter's POV (not edited)

By Wednesday, Kaillie literally told me she could defend herself and that she didn't need me "breathing down her neck all the time" at school. After that, she proceeded to tell me that I was going to hangout elsewhere for lunch so she could "talk to her girls," whatever that means. But that's fine, since the whole breakup ordeal between Kaillie and Zach, I hadn't really had a lot of guy time. I was just sitting on a curb of the school parking lot, chilling with one of my guy friends, Blake, who I hadn't chilled with in a while, when she arrived. The hurricane. The typhoon. The thunderstorm.

"What do you want?" I ask her in a polite, yet demanding, greeting.

"I want to know why you punched Zach," she asks harshly. The strong, outdoor winds were pushing her dark brown hair all over her face, covering her wild green eyes, really giving her the effect as though she really is some sort of storm, or that there's one swirling around inside her and it's about to come out.

"Knowing Zach, he probably walked into some glass or something. He isn't that smart," I brushed off her complaint nonchalantly.

"Why did you punch him?" she continues on, as if I never spoke.

"Again with the assumptions? Sara, I have no idea what you're talking about," I try again. Here's the scene; my unfaithful ex-girlfriend is standing in front of me with angry eyes, the very same girl who helped my best friend's now ex-boyfriend cheat on her, and she's accusing me of something which I indeed did, but I had good reasons to do. It should be the other way around. I should be the one confronting her, accusing her of something in which she did do. Except her reasons were probably anything but noble.

"Weird, thought you were honest," she says, a snarky tone to her voice.

"And I thought you were faithful. Guess we were both wrong," I snap right back at her.

"We need to talk," she says ominously, implying that we have things to talk about. And I guess we do. But it ain't gonna be pretty.

"Fine," I agree begrudgingly.

"Can we talk privately?" she suggests impatiently, clearly wanting to talk elsewhere. She must think this is going to be downright ugly if she wants to go somewhere else to have whatever conversation we're about to have.

"Fine," I say again, walking away from Blake and leading her towards an alley between the buildings of school where I know no one hangs out.

"Why did you do it?" I ask her as I turn and face her, my tone as accusing as hers was earlier.

"Do what?" She says, feigning innocence, but I can see in her eyes that she knows exactly what I am talking about.

"Help Zach cheat," I say lowly, crossing my arms over my chest as I glare at her.

"Because I knew it would hurt you," she admits with her head held high, making my eyes go wide.

"You hurt Kaillie more than me. And you already hurt me once, do you like causing more pain?" I say incredulously, referring to our past. The past where she became unfaithful and cheated.

"I saw the way you looked at her. The way you still do," Sara states, her green eyes capturing mine with one searing glance.

"Excuse me? Who are you talking about?" I ask her in puzzlement.

"I'm not the only one who noticed. He noticed too. It's a mutual thing," she states darkly once again, adding to my bewilderment.

"Again, I still don't know who you're talking about," I remind her, my confusion making my patience wear thin.