20 | Calls On Judgements

Carter's POV: (not edited)

After my conversation with Sara on Monday, I start spending more time with her and Zach. I have to say, this whole thing where I can judge Zach amuses me, as well as the fact it gives me a warm feeling of trust from Sara. Not too long ago, the only emotion I'd get from her is hate, and now she's giving me enough trust to let her know if I think Zach would ever cheat or not. That trust is a nice feeling.

Zach's actually surprisingly me on how well he's doing at being a good guy. He's attentive, caring, shows how he feels about her in front of other people. He seems to be proud to be with her, but at the same, he doesn't treat her like some trophy that's only purpose is to b displayed. It's more than he used to be with Kaillie. The look is his eye now is different from the way it was then. More love shines through the clouds of his eyes, sometimes eliminating the clouds all together to let his love shine through like broad daylight; obvious and clear. It seems more real an less superficial. To me, his feelings seem real and genuine. I'm not doubting them as much as I was before, I don't know if there's room to doubt them. The only reason I'd doubt is because I know his history with cheating and how he used to be with it. Heck, with his actions, he might even be treating Sara better than I did, not like I'll ever say that to him though.

It's a guy pride thing, okay? ...Or maybe I'm just a bit stubborn and over-prideful. Either way, I don't like the guy enough to tell him that so he'll never hear it. Just because he treats Sara well does not mean that I like the guy, especially not after what he did to Kaillie. I know Sara was a part of that as well, but she wasn't in a relationship with someone else at the time and we have went through our issues and resolved them. Me and Zach not so much, and I don't plan on it.

Today, at lunch, as we all talk, even about the randomist things, I notice how he keeps looking over at her, a soft smile in his eyes. Aka not the look of someone who plans on cheating on his lover. He looks at her like he's the best thing that's ever happened to him, and as sad as I am about the fact he did not look at Kaillie that strongly, I'm also secretly happy, not that anyone needs to know. It's all good news. But I also notice how I still fit in there. With Sara not acting the same icy way anymore, it's like old times, when I used to eat lunch here all the time.

Lacey, one of Sara's best friends, still has her moments. Yes, she is a blonde, and I'm not trying to be rude or anything. The colour may go into her head a little sometimes, despite her intelligence. It's fortunate thing, she really hasn't changed all that much. She's a little more mature now, and she's more confident. I can tell by the fact she doesn't wear as much makeup now; she doesn't feel the need to constantly cover her face in the stuff. Mackenzie is still a witty one, always having something to say. But now she seems to hold this quieter confidence, like she doesn't have to be too loud to get her thoughts heard. And Reagan, the quietest of the bunch, is still the observer of the group. She's quiet, but she seems to have spread her wings a little more and she's louder.

Isn't it funny, the changes there are in a person over a year's time? How people can change but still stay the same.

As we're sitting there, talking around one of the lunch tables in their usual spot, the question I was waiting for gets asked. "So Carter, what are you up to these days? We haven't seen in a while." The question comes from Lacey, who seems to have gotten some of Reagan's observatory skills rubbed off on her.

"The same old, same old," I reply. Nothing big has changed in my life, and I'm not going to outright talk about the real reason I'm here; not to spread time with them, but to see whether or not I think Zach will cheat on Sara.

"So are we going to be seeing you more often then?" Mackenzie asks, receiving a small smile from Sara at the thought.

"Just maybe," I say, as Sara's smile stays on her face.The rest of the group has started talking amongst themselves, but Reagan has pokes me in the shoulder. The seating around the round table just so ended up that I'm in between Sara and the observer herself. She has something to say, probably something she thought would be better if it wasn't said in front of everyone else. The expression on her face seems to have changed since the last time I looked over at her when I had been talking.