4 | Remember The Consequences?

Carter Williams: (not edited)

Waking up the next morning, I look at my phone to still see no messages from Kaillie. Nothing. Ever since we talked at our spot last night, she hasn't spoken to me, hasn't contacted me. Nothing. Is this what a best friend gets for trying to protect his best friend from a broken heart? Wow. I quickly text Abby what happened last night before putting my phone down to get ready for the day.

By the time I get out of the shower, I'm dressed, and I've had breakfast, I look at my phone to see Abby has texted me back. She says things about Kaillie being confused, crying on the phone to her last night, calling her for a ride. She usually rides with either me or Zach. Guess she's avoiding both of us. At least then she won't be around at lunch when Zach and I have our little chat. I really don't know what exactly I'm going to say, but it'll probably be something along the lines of "I warned you about the consequences of hurting Kaillie," showing him the prove on my phone, and then Abby holding me back while the student body watches in shock. That's usually how these things go.

~*~*~

By the time lunch rolls around, I know Kaillie was avoiding me, as she won't come within three feet of me. I'm leaning against the wall at the agreed spot, a short hallway with a shop class at the end and doors that lead outside. Zach hasn't showed up yet, and Abby is late as usual.

Within the next few minutes, Zach had showed up, and thankfully, he came alone. "What do you want Carter?" he asked rudely, obviously not happy to have to "deal" with me. Not my fault, he's the one cheating.

"So, I want to know why you're cheating on Kaillie," I say while looking at him with a bored expression.

As soon as his ears could comprehend my thought, his facial expression went to one of calmness. But I could tell from his eyes he was scared. I know his little secret.

"So are you going to deny it, and I need to show you the proof I have, or are you going to own up to it like the man you pretend to be?" I think insulting his manhood was a nice touch.

His ears go slightly red, as he says, "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"So you're going to deny it, eh Pinocchio? I thought you were taught not to lie. Do I need to show you the picture? Or should I say pictures?" I say while standing up a little straighter, making myself looker taller than before.

"What pictures do you think you have?"

"I don't think, I know, Zach," I say in a low, almost scary voice. This is almost too funny. He's trying to act calm when anyone else our age can see how he's really feeling. Afraid. Too bad I don't care.

"Fine, can I see them?" He asks, referring to the pictures.

"Oh, what's the fun in that?" I ask wickedly, with a scary grin on my face.

"It makes this conversation go faster?"

"Wrong. Cause we just got started talking."

"Well what else would you like to talk about then, if you won't let me see the pictures?" he asks bravely.

Walking towards him a step, I say, "How about how I warned you not to hurt Kaillie? Hmm? I distinctly remember saying that to you when you started dating her."

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

"A memory usually isn't one sided."