14 | Forces of Nature

Carter's POV (not edited)

"Carter!" I hear my mom calling up the stairs as she gets closer. She even passes the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on my door as she walks in. That sign isn't for girls or anything-I don't generally bring them here-it's typically used when I want to be alone.

"Yes?" I say as she walks in, raising my eyebrows at her sudden entrance.

"Kaillie was just here," she informs out.

"Okay, did she leave again or something?" I ask, unsure of what her point is. Why isn't Kaillie still here? Why did she send her away?

"I told her you weren't home," she tells me with a strain in her voice.

"Why?" I ask, still unsure of why she's telling me this.

"Because you are going to do something else," she tells me.

"And what's that?" Yeah, I'm still confused over here.

"You're going to call your father. Here's the number," she says, handing me a card with a name and number. "You should call soon," she tells me before exiting my room once again.

After she leaves, I remain starring at the card she left in my hand. My father's number. The card reads the name Aaron Jacobs. It also says that he works in some office in downtown Toronto, which is a maximum of a few hours away from my house. I stare at the business card for a couple more minutes before deciding to grab my phone slowly from my pocket. Slowly, I tap the numbers on my phone, watching the numbers appear, and making sure they match the ones on the card.

As I hear the dial tone ring, I slowly move the phone to my ear. It picks up on the third ring. A perky female voice answers the phone. "Hello, this is the Adelaide West office, how can I help you?"

I'm silent for a moment before I reply, saying, "Hello, I'm looking for an Aaron Jacobs."

"Ah Mr. Jacobs! Yes, he works here, sir. May I ask who's calling?" she says in a perky tone once again, while my tone is quieter.

"It's probably better that you don't ask," I reply mysteriously. Would he answer if he knew it was his son?

"Oh, okay," she says, slightly dejected, "Hold for one moment please."

"Thank you," I say as the phone goes silent.

The pause continues for a couple moments, before the phone picks up and a deep male voice says, "Hello?" One might say we even sound a tad similar.

"Hello, is this Aaron Jacobs?" I ask, feeling my voice quiver slightly with nerves.

"Yes," he answers.

But I don't know what to say next. So I'm quiet for a few minutes. Maybe I didn't think this through. Maybe I should have thought more about what I woud say instead of just calling him out of the blue on a whim.

"Hello?" He says again, sounding confused, "Who is this?"

I'm silent again for another moment, before I say, "That's not important, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have called," and take the phone off my ear and press the End Call button. I don't hear the response, if there is one, as I sit there and stare at my phone.

*~*~*

After a while of doing nothing but wondering in my room, I hear the front door open furiously from my room upstairs, some hushed talking, then the front door closes, and I hear the sound of heels clipping the hardwood floor in a fast motion.