2 | Rumor Has It

Carter Williams: (not edited)

            Lately, I've heard a rumor I would've preferred if it hadn't reached my ears. Kaillie seemed to be really happy, which was good. If she had what I'd be hearing, she might not be so cheerful. Maybe I'm the only one who's been hearing it. But that's optimism kicking in; something Kaillie taught me to have more of. Too bad it's not gunna work this time. I never wanted my best friend to be hurt this way. I've even warned her. But all that I've heard in the past little while is how Zach is cheating on his blissfully unaware, oh-so-faithful girlfriend. If I'm right, let's just say I'm gunna make Zach wish he had never kissed another girl while dating my best friend. I'm protective, I'm the school's bad boy, what can I say? Besides, Zach should know better. I threatened him when they first started dating, to never hurt her or we've have to have a little chat. And with my 6'4" stature and bad boy reputation, I would hope he's not stupid enough to take that threat lightly.

            With all these angry thoughts in my head, I pick up my phone to dial who is probably the only other person in the world who will understand what I'm feeling right now. Dialling Abby, I pace my bedroom floor as I wait for her to pick up. If Zach really is cheating on Kaillie, which he probably is, we're going to have a serious problem.

            When Abby answers the phone, she says "Hey Carter, what's up?" She's all chill. Has she even heard the rumors? Meanwhile, I'm about to go all protective-best-friend on Zach's ass.

            "Abigail, have you heard the rumors?" I ask, in a somewhat panicked, somewhat angry voice. She knows I'm serious when I call her Abigail; I almost never call her that. Only in serious situations or when I'm trying to annoy her, as she prefers to be called Abby.

            "Carter, I need you be specific. Which rumors are we talking about from school?" she says carefully, not wanting to upset me anymore then I already obviously am. I warned him. There are always consequences for actions. That includes angry bad boy best friends.

            "The ones regarding Zach," I reply tensely. "What have you heard regarding Zach? I need to know what you've heard," my voice is edging on dangerously low now. It's a good thing Abby has known me for so long she knows my angry, low voice isn't aimed at her right now.

            "Carter, I think I've heard the same things you have," she says carefully.

            "I need you to say what you've heard to confirm that."

            "Carter, take a breath, okay? Right now, they're just rumors. But I've heard that Zach has been cheating on Kaillie," she says with a disappointed sigh. I know she'd hoped that Zach was different from his teammates, but clearly he's the leader. Or I wouldn't have heard this from so many people already. They've all warned me of what he could do to my best friend before, now it's coming true. Shit.

            "You have? We'll have to have a little chat then. Just me and Zach."

            "Carter," Abby says in a concerned voice, "you can't go up to him and punch him because of rumors. I won't stop you, if he's cheating on our Kaillie then he deserves everything that he's gonna get, but I don't want you fighting him based on rumors that might not be true. You need to see if the rumors are right before you do anything. I won't allow you to punch someone for doing nothing wrong."

            "So you want proof before I do anything? Seriously?"

            "No, I don't need prove, but you should get some. If you're right, and you want to tell Kaillie, she won't believe you without some. Because right now, she seems pretty happy with everything in life, including Zach," Abby's voice becoming full of reason. I need to find some proof before I do anything. Kaillie will refuse to believe me without it.