Reluctant Trust

Rays of sunlight peered through the small window. It woke her immediately; she used a bruised hand to push herself off the ground, weak she lent on the wall. Her swollen face was now in the sun, the warm rays sent her body into goose-bumps.

This was the first time since her capture that she had been able to watch the sun rise over her room. She wanted to move toward the window. She wanted to feel more warmth. But the second she moved away from the wall she collapsed to the cold, hard floor. She knew where she stood was the only place she would be able to get sunlight, even if it was for a short while.

She folded up her sleeves and ran her fingers through her messy hair. She wished she had a comb or a fresh pair of clothing. She longed for a warm bath and the idea of a hot meal sent her stomach into growling fits. She wrapped her hands around her stomach; the pain felt as if hundreds of needles were being stabbed continuously in to her.

Curling into a ball again; she covered herself in hay in hope to warm herself. She hugged herself. She was trying to think of what her masters had taught her about self pity, about hunger and about strength. She was one of their highest ranked assassins and she had mastered almost all that one needs to be a true warrior.

The ones she hadn't yet mastered was the ability to trick her mind into not being hungry. The other was to not feel remorse for her young assassins. She had been promoted to teacher; she was the youngest assassin to have ever been given such an honour.

She had grown quiet fond of her five young students. Two of which, are somewhere in this prison.

The other three she had trained well enough to not be caught. However one of the three was too bold and ended up getting himself murdered. She had hoped her two free students had gotten far away.

She was only young herself. Nineteen years of age and a teacher of such younglings. She wished she had of been able to teach them to master the ways of the shadows before this whole thing had happened; this betrayal. She still couldn't believe it herself. Fu-Lee was one of their most well known assassins; he had all the traits of becoming a master. But there is one thing he lacked; patience.

Singular footsteps approached. They were soft, delicate even, almost as if whoever was coming, didn't want to be found. If it hadn't been for her impeccable hearing abilities, she more than likely wouldn't have heard whomever it was, approaching.

The footsteps halted out front of her room. The jingle of someone fiddling with keys was next followed by the faint 'click' of the lock becoming undone. She hadn't moved from her place in the hay. She felt the need to remain as still as possible.

The door was shut and locked again. Footsteps grew nearer. Her heat felt like it was in a competition and was a meter away from the finish line, it was pounding like crazy, she could hear it in her ears. She had one chance to do this, one chance to get this right.

She saw his feet at the edge of the hay, took a deep breath and lunged at him, she twirled onto his back and kicked his legs out from underneath him, making him land face first in the hay. She dug her pointy knees into a pressure point in his lower back paralyzing his movements as she pulled his hair making his face get out of the hay. Her free hand landed on his throat. 

She was about to crush his windpipe as the man spoke, 'It's me, the one that got you down yesterday!'

She pulled his hair more and looked at his face, he wasn't lying. She released his hair; his face smacked into the ground. She climbed off him and stood on bent legs, arm leaning against the table for support. She was weaker then she imagined. She watched the man closely as he got up, prepared to attack if he did anything.

'I did have food for you, but it is probably squashed now...' He lifted a small bag up and opened it to examine the contents. She felt her stomach growl as if it were a bear. 

She reached out and snatched viciously at the bag, he moved the food as she snatched. She wanted to slap his face for moving the food, but instead her stomach just growled louder, he scanned her body then raised an eyebrow as he passed her the bag. 'You are bones, how could you possibly have the strength to attack me the way you just did?' He rubbed the newly sore spot on his forehead.

She let her knees give out from underneath her and ripped open the bag to see two full chicken legs, roast potatoes and beans. Her mouth was watering as she observed the look of the food. She shrugged in response to the mans answer as she bit into the chicken leg. 

'Look, I am not going to be able to sneak you food like this every-day. So maybe ration some of the beans?' He spoke in a calm matter as he crossed his legs and watched her feed, observing her.

Once she had finished her chicken leg, she spoke in a croaky, strained voice. 'W-why are you helping me?'

The man sucked in breath at the sound of her voice. 'You spoke! Three weeks of solid beatings and not a word, but you just spoke.'

She nodded as she started on her second chicken leg. He was quiet for a moment as he scanned the doorway. 'I want to help you. You don't deserve what they are putting you through. Besides, I'm not here by choice and I heard from a couple of young assassins down stairs that if anyone can help us, all of us, it is you.'

She almost chocked when he said young assassins. She grabbed the man's collar yanking him toward her hard 'Younglings?' 

'Yes, a young boy and a girl. Back to back cells, they too haven't spoken a word.' That made her cracked lips curl into a smile. She had trained them well. She shook him once more, she wanted more information.

'They are okay. I sneak them food too, they don't get beat everyday like you. Their wounds have time to heal. They will survive if I can get you to help me.'

She released his collar and he flung back into his previous position, she held a chicken leg in one hand and gestured with her other for him to continue.

'I can help you escape, but we will have to plan this to fine point. If anyone and I mean anyone gets drift of this, every assassin and worker they have here as prisoners will be killed, including you.' He looked her straight in the eyes; she searched his eyes for any sign of betrayal and found nothing but pain. She didn't trust this man, but she believed him.

She extended her scarred hand to him, 'Suna,' she barely whispered, he accepted Suna's hand and shook it firmly

'Valex,' He spoke, this mans name was Valex. 'I hope you realise that once you have finished, as much as I don't want to, I will have to chain you up again,' He tilted his head slightly. Suna looked at her scabbing wrists. She didn't want to be chained up again.

'May I?' Valex extended his hand palm up toward Suna, examining her wrists then he scanned her ankles. 'Hmm, I think I can help.'

He ripped off a part of his thick cotton sleeve on both sides then rolled his sleeves up. Valex bit the thread so the stitching came undone; making the fabric longer. He grabbed her wrists again and slowly wrapped the fabric around Suna's wounds. She flinched at the pain of the fabric hitting the fresh flesh.

Once Suna was all bandaged up Valex stood. 'That's all I can do for you for now. Sadly, I'll be back later to watch that brute harm you.' He put so much hate behind the word 'brut' that she could tell he hated being here.

Suna placed a hand on his calf, she knew that he had no choice. He smiled sympathetically at the girl covered in cuts that couldn't stand. She was trying to comfort him.

Once she had finished eating he lifted her up easily; Suna felt like she weighed less than a sandbag.

Valex gently wrapped his large arm around her small waist as he cuffed her arms and held just under her thigh as he cuffed her legs against the wall again.

Valex collected the bag that had a few scraps in it and hid it under the hay before leaving the room.

Once again she was left alone in her room, limbs separated. Except this time, there might be a chance of hope. She would have to see yet.

NOTE: If you like this please vote and follow! That would be so wonderful! :)