Valex's Chamber

They sat across the table from each other, eating in silence. The stew Valex had made was delicious. The meat melted in the mouth, the favours of the vegetables showed and there was the perfect amount of salt, juice and texture. She hated when people over cooked it and it was like eating mush. Suna savoured the meal, eating slowly, rolling the food around in her mouth to get the full experience of it.

She hadn't eaten something this well cooked since dinning in The Base at home and was surprised even more so that Valex had prepared such a meal. She looked over to Valex who was dunking his bread into the stew and wondered if maybe he was a cook? If he could prepare meals like this, she would hire him, no doubt.

Valex noticed her looking at him and tilted his head. He didn't speak because his mouth was full but she could tell he was concerned about the food being bad. Suna shoved another spoonful in her mouth and Valex straightened, seeming pleased.

After the meal, Valex grabbed a bottle of unknown substance from another hidden compartment and poured it for Suna and himself. The fact that he knew were everything was, made Suna start thinking.

'Valex,' She looked over to him to see he had rolled up the sleeves to his sand brown blouse and had a wash pot in between his legs.

'Hmm?' He hummed as he scrubbed at the dishes in a wash pot. His copper brown hair had been pulled back into a small pony tail, but a few bits had escaped and had fallen around his strong face. He was concentrating on the plate he was scrubbing.

'Is this your chamber?' Valex stopped mid scrub and looked up at her. Their eyes met.

'Yes,' He said simply. He studied her face as if he was waiting for the worst reaction in the world. But all he got was a small 'o' shape from her mouth as she scanned the room again.

There was a rare moment of silence between them before Suna finally said, 'Why am I in your room?'

No response.

Suna was staring at the untouched drink Valex had poured for her. It was light pink and bubbled as though it were fizzy. She picked up the glass and took a small mouthful; it was sweet and bubbly and went down smoothly. It warmed her soul and instantly calmed her.

It was the same type of syrup they served after meal time in the kitchen back at The Base. Except this one was stronger. This one had alcohol in it. She could taste it in the after burn of the flavour that lingered her mouth.

She took a few more small mouthfuls and before she knew it, her cup was empty. It really went down smoothly, too smoothly. Suna looked at the empty cup and could feel her whole body had relaxed. She sat numbly for a moment, enjoying the feeling of the bubbles playing happily in her stomach.

Valex appeared in front of her with the dark blue bottle and filled her glass again.

'Where did you get this?' Suna asked as she took another mouthful of the pink sweetness.

'The kitchen,' Valex placed the bottle on the table as he sat. Suna glared at his cheeky response and took another small swig. He grinned at her glare.

'You have yet to answer my question, Valex,' the fact Suna had used his name in a sentence like that grabbed his attention right away. 'Why am I in your chamber?'

Valex looked at her a while longer before finishing the remaining of his drink and pulling down his sleeves. It was extremely rare for him to not examine the door before speaking, but that is what he did.

'Because you are under my protection,' Valex rubbed his cup in between his palms and continued 'The leader of this,' He looked toward the door as he searched for the right word 'let's say, 'clan', didn't know we had a wiccan in lockdown, so the fact that you got her to show herself as one, made him think he was indebted to you. So he moved you into my chamber until the execution of the ginger cleaner.'