seven {Peter's POV}

Two classes later, I was working on something for my chemistry project as Arya sat down on the seat next to mine. 

"I know what you're gonna say and I'm-"

"You're not going to Liz's party as Spider-Man," she told me. 

"You can't stop me. And what's the harm? You heard how she talked about me," I said. 

"She talked about Spider-Man, not you," she pointed out. 

"I don't care. I'll just go in, say hi and get out again. I won't stick around," I said. "I won't let anyone find out, I promise."

"I really don't think this is a good i-"

"Look, I managed just fine before you showed up so you can't go around dictating every aspect of my life, all right?" I told her, a little angrier than I intended but at least I got my point across. 

I felt her eyes on me as I kept mine on my notes. "Peter, I'm going to say this once," she said softly and I looked up. "If someone finds out that you're Spider-Man, your life will never be the same."

"I know that and I told you that I'll be careful. Just because Happy told you to make sure I wouldn't do anything irresponsible, doesn't make you my mother. I'm not missing this party because I've had a crush on Liz ever since I first saw her and I just want her to notice me for a change." I had not intended for that final sentence to escape but as soon as I said the words, my face flushed bright red and I quickly avoided my eyes. 

"Peter-" 

"No, Arya. I don't have to listen-" 

The glass beaker she had been gripping tightly shattered into a million pieces and she gasped, shaking off the shards as she got up. "I-I'm..." she mumbled. "I'm sorry." 

"Arya-" 

Before I could stop her, she was gone. 

My brows etched into a frown as I saw the glass shards on my desk. I picked one up and saw it was blackened. "What the..." 

***

I didn't see Arya for the rest of the day, and I honestly wasn't mad about it. I was not giving up this chance with Liz. Not after over a year of having the biggest crush on her and finally having a chance. Sure, it wouldn't be me but Spider-Man, but maybe that could give me the opportunity to come clean to her and tell her that I'm Spider-Man. Maybe, finally-

"A party in the suburbs. I remember going to these. I'm kinda jealous," May said from the driver's seat. I sat next to her and we had picked up Ned on the way. 

"Yeah, it'll be a night to remember," Ned said. 

May parked the car in front of Liz's massive house. I recognised a few students from my class, but I didn't know the majority of them. May turned around in her seat to look at Ned in the backseat. "Ned, some men wear hats and you wear that hat," she told him. 

"Thanks, it gives me confidence," Ned said, bouncing in his seat. I stared at Liz's insanely big house as I thought about my conversation with Arya.

I stared at the house and I was suddenly very aware of what I was doing. "This was a mistake. Let's just go home," I told May, turning back around. 

"Oh, Peter," she said, her eyes filling with sympathy. "I know. I know it's really hard trying to fit in with all the changes your body is going through." I furrowed my brows at my aunt, not quite understanding the way she was taking this conversation. "It's flowering now," she said. I chuckled humorlessly as I shook my head. 

May turned to Ned. "He's so stressed out lately," she said. 

Ned nodded in agreement. "And what helps with stress is going to a party, so we should go to the party," he said. 

Through the window, I spotted Arya standing on the lawn in front of the house. She saw me in the car and waved softly. 

"Yeah, okay. Let's go," I said to May and Ned, and I opened the car door. 

I was already walking toward Arya when I heard May call my name. I turned back around and she lowered the window. "Have fun, okay?" she told me with a smile. 

I nodded, offering a smile back. "I will." 

"Bye, May!" Ned waved May goodbye as she drove away. 

We headed up the pathway to Liz's front door and met Arya halfway. "Hey," she said quietly, avoiding my eyes.

"Hey," I replied, unsure of what to do so I dug my hands into my pocket. 

"Whoah, what happened to your hand?" Ned asked, motioning at Arya's hand which was wrapped in white bandaging. 

"Oh," Arya muttered. "Yeah, I cut myself while making dinner. It looks more dramatic than it is." 

"Oh, okay," Ned said, nodding. "Wanna go in?" 

"Sure," said Arya softly as she followed Ned and me into the house. I stood on my tiptoes to check for Liz but I couldn't see over the many people crowding the entrance. 

"I can't believe you guys are at this lame party," Michelle Jones said when we entered the kitchen. She was putting some kind of spread on a slice of toast.

"You're here too," Ned pointed out, somewhat questioningly. 

"Am I?" She took a bite of her toast before she walked away. 

"Sorry, I can't do this," Arya muttered, pushing past me to go with Michelle. 

"Arya," I called but she had already disappeared in the crowd.

Ned sent me a confused glare, which I answered with a shrug. "She didn't want me to come. Well, that sounds bad. She didn't want me to come as Sp-"

"Oh my gosh! Hey, guys," Liz said as she came up to us. "Cool hat, Ned."

"Hi, Liz!" Ned greeted her. 

"Hey, Liz," I said, my voice going up in pitch. 

Her dark eyes glistened with excitement. "I'm so happy you guys came. There's pizza and drinks, help yourself," she said. 

I quickly thought of something to say, anxious that she would just walk off again. "What a great party," I decided to say.

"Thanks," she said with a smile. Behind us, a crash sounded and Liz's eyes widened. "Oh, my parents will kill me if anything breaks, so I gotta-" 

"Yeah, of course," I said, nodding. Liz sent us an apologetic smile before following the noise of the crash to the adjacent room.