seventeen {Peter's POV}

"I have a question," I said to Arya during lunch. Ned had gone to the library to hand in some books he had needed for a project and Michelle's side of the table was empty. 

"What's up?" Arya asked, biting into her sandwich.

"If you're afraid of water, how come you saved me when the Vulture dropped me into the lake?" 

She froze for a second before lowering her sandwich. "Well," she started, slowly turning toward me. "Unlike yours, my parachute worked, so I had two choices. I either wait until I slowly float down into the water and possibly risk drowning myself, or cut myself out of the parachute and keep some control over where I land," she explained. "I picked the second option. And I saved your ass while I was at it." 

I rolled my eyes. "All right," I said. "I don't suspect that made your fear any better." 

She shook her head and turned back to her lunch. "Not really, no. I mean, you saw how I reacted in DC." 

I frowned. "How do you know that? I wasn't at the pool with you guys." 

"I saw you through the window in the ceiling. You're not very subtle," she replied. "I'm honestly surprised no one has figured it out yet." 

I couldn't help but laugh. "Yeah, me too." 

"Speaking of DC, how're your injuries? Gone yet?" she asked then.

"They're fine. All gone." 

She looked at me for a second before poking my side with her index finger, hitting the bruise straight on. I let out a yelp and she raised her brows at me. "All gone, huh?" 

"Okay, maybe they're not completely gone, but what else do you expect after I literally fell down an elevator shaft. It was, like, 500 feet or something." 

"Yeah, I know, I fell down half of that as well," she said with a grin. "So, detention after school?" 

I nodded. "Yeah, unfortunately," I said. "I would much rather go on patrol or training with you or something." 

I felt her eyes on me and I looked up. She quickly averted her eyes, a faint hue of red colouring the tips of her ears. I decided against saying something about it. 

"So, Homecoming is in a few weeks. Are you going?" I asked, changing the subject. 

Arya looked up again, clearing her throat. "Yeah, I guess. You?" 

"I don't think Ned will ever forgive me if I don't go with him," I said, laughing to myself. 

"It's weird, you know? I was homeschooled for most of my life, apart from the one year I went to a middle school in Miami when I lived there with Tony and Pepper," she said after putting the last bite of her sandwich in her mouth. 

"So when did you first start living with them?" I asked. 

"I was eight, so I think it was the year after he told the world he was Iron Man. It was before he reopened the Stark Expo," she replied. 

"So you really do know the Avengers." I couldn't hide the amazement in my voice. 

Arya nodded. "Yeah, I met them after the Battle of New York." 

"Who's your favourite?" 

She raised a brow. "Tony...?" 

"Right, of course, but after him?"

She laughed. "You're quite possibly the worst."

"What?" I asked, offended. "I know you have a favourite. I promise I won't tell."