twenty {Arya's POV}

As I sat on the bus on my way to school, a packed backpack on the seat next to mine, I sent Peter a text, asking him to meet me after school. I quickly checked my schedule and saw I had math first. 

The bus arrived at my stop quicker than I wanted to and I got out, making a beeline for my locker in which I shoved my backpack after taking out the books I needed and putting them in my school bag. 

I went to math and sat down in the back. Minutes later, Peter slid into the seat next to mine. "Hey, I saw your text. What's up?" he asked.

"Nothing. I just need to talk to you," I said, offering a forced smile that didn't reach my eyes. 

He frowned but decided not to say anything as he turned to his textbook. 

I did the regular that day. I blended in, took notes, did my homework and tried not to get picked for any questions from the teacher. I was completely focused on getting through today and when the last bell finally rang, I practically ran to the main exit of the school where I found Peter already waiting for me.

"Arya, is everything okay? You've been awfully quiet- Is that a backpack?" he said as soon as I reached him.

"Yeah, that's why I asked you to meet me." I averted my eyes and heaved the bag higher on my shoulder. "I'm going to visit my mom in Seattle," I said, I couldn't bear to look at him. 

"Seattle? What-Why?" he stammered. 

"I need some time away from this place. I can't be here right now," I said. The utter shock and disbelief in his voice made my eyes well up with tears. 

"I don't get it. What happened?" he asked. "And when are you coming back?"

I stayed silent. 

"Arya, you are coming back, right?" 

"I don't know," I told him, finally looking up to meet his eyes. 

"You have to come back. I don't-" He cut himself off. "We're partners." 

"I know, and I'm sorry. There's just a lot of stuff I need to deal with." I said. 

"I thought you didn't want to see your mother anymore," he said, a sense of betrayal in his voice. "If you need to get away from Mr Stark, I'm sure May won't mind a temporary house guest-" 

"Pete. Peter!" I stopped him, catching his hands as they flailed around. He stared at our hands and I quickly pulled back. "I'm sorry, but I need to go. My flight is leaving in an hour." 

"Oh," he muttered. "Okay." 

"I'm really sorry." 

He nodded, taking a step back. I wiped away a stray tear and turned around. 

"Arya?" Peter called as I headed down the stairs. I turned back and his body collided with mine. It took a few seconds for me to realize that he was hugging me. I wrapped my arms around him and buried my face in the fabric of his sweater. "Keep in touch, okay?" he whispered. I nodded against his chest. "And be safe out there." 

I took a cab to the airport and went through check-in and security without an issue. I boarded the plane not long after and found my seat. I put on my seatbelt and put on my headphones, resting my head against the seat as I closed my eyes. 

After the flight attendants explained the safety protocols, the plane took off and six hours later, I landed in Seattle. 

I took another cab to my mother's apartment and when she opened the door, her eyes widened. "Arya?" 

"Hi," I said, suddenly feeling ridiculous for coming here. 

"What are you... Come on in. What are you doing here?" she asked, taking my bag from me. 

"I uh..." I started. "I don't really know, to be honest." 

She motioned to the couch and I sat down, pulling the cuffs of my sweater over my hands. "I kind of got into a fight with Tony and he said some pretty horrible things, so I needed to get away for a while to clear my head," I said.

"Well, I'm happy you're here, don't get me wrong, but isn't this something you need to figure out with him?" she asked me. 

I shook my head. "Can I stay with you for a while? I can sleep on the couch," I said. 

"Yeah, of course. And I have a guest room, so there's no need for you to sleep on the couch," she said. "Are you hungry? I have some leftover lasagna that I can heat up." 

I nodded, the left corner of my lip twitching as I attempted to smile. "That'd be great. Thanks." 

She went to the kitchen and I looked around the apartment. She had sent me the address after she left New York, probably hoping I would come and visit her sometimes. A few pictures stood on the windowsill. One of her and some dark-haired guy, one of her and a group of what I assumed were her friends, and one of her with two young kids. 

"Those are my niece and nephew," she said. "Your cousins."

I looked over my shoulder and found her in the door opening, looking at me with a careful smile. 

"Sorry, I didn't mean to pry," I muttered. 

"No, it's okay," she said. She picked up the picture frame. "This was two years ago. They moved to Florida with my brother and his wife so I barely see them anymore." She then pointed at the picture with the man and the one with the group of people. "That's my brother. And those are my friends from the academy." 

"Academy?" I asked. 

"SHIELD," she replied. "I started working with them after I finished college. I haven't seen some of them in over a decade, but we still keep in touch." 

"Do they know about me?" I asked.

My mother looked at me for a second, then shook her head. 

I slowly nodded. 

In the kitchen, what I assumed to be the oven beeped. "I'll be right back." my mother said, softly squeezing my shoulder as she passed me. 

I took out my phone, seeing three texts from Peter, one from Michelle, an email from Midtown High, seventeen missed calls from Tony, forty-three texts, and eight emails. I discarded most of the messages before opening mine and Peter's chat. 

Hey, did you land? 

I hope you arrived safely

Can you please call me when you get the chance?

I let out a breath, then I dialled his number. 

"Arya?" 

"Hey, Pete," I replied. 

"Hey, how was your flight? Are you at your mom's?"

"It was fine. Look, I have to go. I'll text you later, okay?" 

"Arya, wait-" I cut him off by ending the call as my mother entered the room with a plate of lasagna. 

"Who was that?" she asked. 

I shook my head. "No one. Just a friend from school." I took the plate as she held it out to me. "Thanks, this looks great."

"Was it that boy who was with you that day I visited you?" she asked. 

"Yeah, that was Peter. One of the few friends I've made in New York," I replied. "Can I be honest with you for a second?" 

"Of course," my mother said. She crossed one long leg over the other. 

I swallowed the bite of lasagna in my mouth. "He's actually part of the reason I left," I said and she frowned. "I'm in love with him."

"Oh," she said, raising her brows. "Then why did you leave? Don't you want to be with him?"

I chuckled humourlessly. "Because he's in love with someone else."