5. I Get Attacked By Hades's Pet

Told you guys I would update soon!
Well, I don't want to keep you waiting.
Happy Reading!

5. I Get Attacked By Hades's Pet

Everyone around me yelled defiantly and charged into the forest bravely.

Me?

I tripped over a rock.

I may do ballet and I may ice skating, but clearly I was as clumsy as a drunk goose when I wasn't doing either of those things.

Sadie pulled me up, laughing. "Come on, I'll show you where you'll be during this lovely Hunger Games."

Sadie and I ran through the darkened trees. The sun had already set, changing the sky into shades of pink and purple before it faded to the darkest blue.

Fireflies blinked in and out of view. The only source of light came from floating balls of light that were placed every ten feet. The hot, humid air swirled around me. It felt more like early July instead of late May.

Moonlight gleamed through the leaves of the surrounding trees. Tiny white flowers dotted the grass. It would've been a very nice place to relax if not for the statue of poop.

Sadie quickly looked around, checking for any other demigods. But the clearing stood still, only a few leaves rustling breaking the silence. She turned back to me.

"This is Zeus's Fist, and before you ask-"

I had started to open my mouth to ask a question.

"-yes, everyone is aware that it looks like a pile of shit. Supposedly, if you look at it the right way, you'll see a fist, but we don't have time for that."

"You, my little Latina friend, are going to stand here and guard this area. The flag is really close to here, so if they get past this clearing, they've already won. Don't let any Blues get through. If they do, run them through with your little dagger there."

I frowned. "I thought we weren't supposed to hurt people if we could help it."

Sadie gave me a sloppy grin. "That's just it. We can't help it. This is training. Just in the form of a game. But yeah, try to not kill someone. It'll give you a bad rep."

She turned and pointed north. "The creek is the boundary line. It's a couple yards over there. I'll be tricking some of the Blues and leading them away from here. Yell if you need anyone. I'll be a bit of ways off from here and I probably won't come if you call. Any questions?"

I opened my mouth to say that no, I in fact did not understand, but was surprised that I actually did. It was simple enough. Stand here quietly unless I see someone. Then stab said person. Simple.

I nodded. Sadie gave me that silly grin again, unsheathed her sword, and jumped over the gurgling creek into enemy territory like a blood-crazed bunny.

I stood alone in the small clearing, feeling ridiculous in my feathered helmet and breastplate that seemed to be getting heavier by the minute. If anyone came at me now, they would probably just fall to the ground laughing. At least then it would be easier to turn them into a shish-kebab.

I'd been standing there for about fifteen minutes when I heard a small growl. I quickly unsheathed the dagger and held it like one of the nicer Ares kids had taught me. My eyes darted from side to side. I turned a full circle, but the growling had stopped almost as soon as it had started.

I brought down my dagger just as I saw someone run towards me, a sword in their hand. My eyes flitted up to their head. Blue feathers.

I raised the dagger just as they plowed into me, knocking me to the ground. Fortunately, the runner had fallen too. I grabbed their ankle to try and get their from getting up.