8. I Almost Go Deaf (Thanks, Mom)

Exams are next week and I'm relieved most of the week will end at Noon
So here's something new...
A question!
Who is your godly parent? (if you were a demigod, but to be honest we all are)
Answer in the comments and...
Happy Reading!

8. I Almost Go Deaf (Thanks, Mom)

First, let me tell you something about my mom.

Her name is Trinity Hernandez. I'm almost an exact copy of her, except that her hair is shorter and straight. She is super sweet, very thoughtful, and a bomb with a short fuse if she's mad.

What do you mean by that, Lila? Oh, just that she'll be mad in the beginning and then suddenly turn worried or relieved, it depends.

Yeah. I told you she was nice.

And that's exactly what happened when I called her.

I winced at the sudden yelling that came through the receiver, but I was expecting it.

"LILIANA HERNANDEZ, DO YOU KNOW HOW WORRIED I'VE BEEN? I called the school and they told me you weren't there for the last week, a-and you just disappeared! I've been worried sick, I thought you'd been kidnapped or someone was keeping you somewhere and dios mio, what am I going on about, are you alright?"

I sighed when she finally stopped talking. "Mom, I'm okay.. No one kidna-well..."

"You were kidnapped? That's it, I'm calling the police. They thought you were a lost case, but now I-"

"Mother! I'm okay. Stop freaking out! There's no need to call the police. These people saved me."

It was a long time before she said anything. "What do you mean saved?"

Her voice had gone quiet, almost afraid.

"I mean I was about to be dog meat. Quite literally. I'm in a place called-"

I stopped and looked at Sadie, silently asking her if I could tell her. She nodded.

"-Camp Half-Blood. I'm really sorry I couldn't talk to you sooner. Phones don't usually work here."

More silence. This is the first time in forever that she's been this quiet.  "Mami?"

A sigh. "So you know what you are?"

"Yes, but why wouldn't you tell me? I've been asking about my father for-"

"For forever. Yes, I know, Lila. I didn't want to put you in more danger that you already were. Why do you think we moved every summer to a different house?"

Now that I think about it, it made sense. We always moved in the summer, even if it was just across town. I'd always thought it was weird, especially since we always stayed in the Manhattan area. But I didn't complain as long as I had my own room.

"Keeping a scent as strong as yours in one place for too long would attract monsters. I found out you could only stay somewhere for about a year when...something found you when you were five."

When I was five? We'd just moved from Puerto Rico. I barely remembered it. I do remember seeing something like a claw fly towards my face, but I always though that was a nightmare. It didn't seem real enough to be true.

I dragged a hand across my face and sighed. "Well, you do know who my father is, right?"

"Yes." She didn't explain, but there were so many emotions in that one word. She must have really loved him.