24. 13 Reasons Why My Mom Is Luckier Than Me

Hey guys!
Sorry for being late
Even though I'm late every time
wHO'S EXCITED FOR HALLOWEEN?(yes I'm one of those people)
I can''t help it! I like sweater-weather. And sweater weather plus candy is ever better.
Happy reading!

24. Why Didn't I Inherit Any of My Mom's Luck? 

I sighed and zipped up my bag, making sure that my ball gown didn't get caught on the zipper. Today was my last day at camp. After hours and hours of consideration (actually, it was only five minutes), I'd decided to only stay at camp during the summer. I wasn't about to drop out of high school before I even entered it.

The days after the Celebration Ball were calm. Everyone stuck to their schedules and worked hard. I probably worked hardest out of them all. I took up the extra defense classes during my free time whenever I could. Yesterday, Chiron had said that I could take the day off, since it was technically my last full day at camp. I can't say that I took the offer eagerly, but I will say that it was relaxing.

Well, if you don't count the boy that had set himself on fire on the lava wall. He looked pretty mad when I had doused him in water, but I don't think he would have been happier if he were walking around like a blazing phoenix.

I was about to leave my cabin when I saw myself in the mirror. I definitely looked different than from when I'd first gotten here two months ago. Instead of having flimsy noodle-like arms, they were defined and had muscle. The same thing had happened to my legs. I had a couple of scratches here and there, but the scars were so thin you had to be deliberately looking for them to see them.

I tucked my hair behind my ear and noticed there was something faint near my shoulder. I stepped closer and saw something that looked like a network of veins only slightly darker than my skin. What was it?

It started halfway down my neck and ended where the shoulder met my arm. I contemplated whether to tell a healer or just forget about it. You could hardly see it anyway, and it didn't even hurt. It was probably a side effect of the....electricity.

I moved the bag so that the strap covered my shoulder and walked out. Now was not the time to remember that, or any other bad thing that happened to me. I'm going home! I'll be safe there. I'm always safe there.

Or maybe I'm just trying to convince myself of that.

I turned into a bird and flew towards the Big House, where Chiron had told me to meet him before I left. As I passed the volleyball court and the sword fighting arena, I realized that the camp was practically deserted. The few people that stayed year round were still at the dining pavilion enjoying breakfast.

I changed back and stepped inside the Big House. The now-familiar centaur was lounging in his wheelchair and sipping on a glass of iced tea. When I sat down, Seymour let out a soft, pleading purr. I rolled my eyes and tried to hide my smile. ¨Alright, you waterhog, here you go.¨

I willed the water from a nearby pitcher to float towards the living wall ornament. Seymour lapped greedily at the floating bubble. Ever since he found out that I could do this, he would whine and purr until I'd given him some water. He was kind of like a sentient plant with whiskers.

My head tilted to the side. ¨Where does everything he eats go, anyways?¨

Chiron chuckled. ¨I think it's best to leave that a mystery.¨ He wheeled over to the ping pong table and picked up a small drawstring bag. It easily fit in his palm.

I clasped my hands in front of me. ¨So, what did you need me for?¨

¨I just wanted to see you before you left, my dear girl,¨ Chiron said.