Please Pick Up Or Else I Know Youve Been Hurt

Based on a true story and dedicated to @shjskakahsybxk who requested this one shot.

"Hey, Logan," Alex could hear her voice crack violently at the sound of his name. "It's me." The normality of the conversation killed her spirits, because, deep down, Alex knew that this was not a normal phone call. The first thing that alerted her to that fact was that it was completely one sided and repetitive and the only time she'd heard his voice in the last hour was in those five seconds before she left her message. "Again."

She'd watched the disaster unravel on the television, unable to find it in herself to turn away from social media and unplug everything but access to him. "I hope you're alright." But she couldn't imagine that he was, he would have replied by now. There was no doubt in her mind that Logan never left his phone, especially not when they weren't together. And the fact that she knew him so much made it all that much easier to accept the terrible conclusion Alexandra Daddario had reached.

"Please, if you get this," she begged into the receiver, fearing the worst, that his mobile lay beside him, ringing incessantly in the silence that filled the air in and amongst the hotel patrons that had been killed alongside her boyfriend, rubble still smoking around his still frame. "Call me back."

She hung up for the tenth time in twice as many minutes, feeling more deflated by the minute. Alex loved him, there was no way she couldn't have. Logan had that personality that made it so easy to like him, and even easier to love him. He gave more than he took, and he wore an ever present goofy grin, perpetually trying to brighten her day at every chance he got.

Sitting on their couch, in their house, with their pictures on the walls surrounding her as she pet Levon, Alex couldn't save herself from drowning in the sorrow that encompasses her because she thought she'd never experience his love, or witness his life, or encourage his smiles, again.

It was a hollow kind of feeling. And the only thing that could comfort her was the one thing she no longer had. Logan and his generous love, warm embrace, and infectiously bright optimism.

~

Logan had ducked across the street, thinking he could capture a few extra minutes scouring for the perfect anniversary gift. He'd gone so far as to hop onto the Metro in search of the perfect present for Alex.

He had been about to call her when he heard a loud crash, like thunder rippling right above him, but the way the lights of the station flickered before extinguishing and the sirens he could hear in the distance, cloaked beneath the screech of destruction and fear both above and under ground, Logan couldn't help but think it was a bit more than a simple storm.

And he had been right.

Before he had been able to even finish dialling Alex's number, his phone signalled that he was now without reception. None at all. And from the confusion painted on other train riders face's, Logan assumed the same had happened to them and it wasn't simply his phone company or his credit reaching zero.

The wait was exhausting. One wouldn't think such a thing could be true, but the simplicity of sitting still, flipping his phone in his hand wishing he could patch a single call to his girlfriend, turning to talk to the young couple beside him that only made him feel a little sad that they had their loved one with them, and the young children running around the carriage that showed him what he and Alex had in their near future.

Not knowing was excruciating 

An hour after the train had halted beneath the city of Paris, Logan and his fellow train goers were escorted up onto street level by a few Parisian police. His phone still hadn't returned to full function, but the police filled them in. And it wasn't hard to piece together the story from the rubble that littered the street they'd exited on. He couldn't imagine the hell Alex was going through, seeing this reported on every news outlet when he was unreachable.

It took him another quarter of an hour to regain reception, he wasn't allowed into his hotel because it had been hit by the event. But Alex answered on the third ring. She sounded a little too desperate and a touch too dramatic. Logan ignored it, she'd been worried.

"Hi," was the first thing he said into the microphone. On the other end there was simply a cry of tears and a flurry of 'oh my god' and 'I love you.' Logan let her fuss, making sure she knew he was unhurt and that he hadn't missed her seventeen calls on purpose.

"I know, I know Al." He spoke when she finally settled, not saying a word about how worried she had been. "I'll be on a plane in the morning." He swore, preparing to book his flights now that he had internet. But for the moment, Logan just pressed the receiver closer to his ear, wanting to catch every sound she made and hoping to memorise the sound of her breathing. "Keep talking to me." He begged, not wanting to lose a connection with her again.