Anatomy of a Lover pt.4

EYES

There was something enchanting about the colour of her eyes, Logan decided.

Upon meeting Alexandra and falling desperately in love, the clear, cornflour blue has quickly become Logan's favourite colour.

At first, Logan had believed she would only ever look at him with the glance he was beginning to grow accustomed to. The warning in her expression as her eyelids narrowed the slip of blue. Not that he was complaining. At least she was looking at him.

But almost immediately her expression changed. Softened. And her eyes were calmer. A cloudless blue sky in the middle of summer.

Her eyes filled with mirth and glinted in humour. It was a sight Logan wanted to continue to see.

Over the expanse of his time spent with her training for their movie, Logan couldn't help but let his eyes be drawn to her eyes, intrigued by their coloration and the radial muscles that added flecks of navy and silver.

On of his favourite moments with her was when he was waking her up, the cast having spent the entire evening laughing.

As Logan approached the lounge she was lying on his hands shook. He tried to dismiss the fact, write it off as caused by the cold. But that couldn't have been it, Alexandra was an arms length in front of him and he was winded by her peaceful composure. Her cheekbones didn't seem as sharply recognisable when her eyes weren't warning him to stay away. And the dark helped, only soft moonlight painting her porcelain skin. He wondered if it was as soft as it looked.

"Alex," Logan touched her shoulder, shaking it slightly, "Al, time to get up." His voice was low and whispered. She stirred, her eyelids fluttering open and her lips pulling into a soft smile that didn't quite crinkle her eyes.

It was that moment that Logan knew he loved her. She was so vulnerable in her tired state, her arms reaching to pull the thin woken blanket closer to her chin. Alexandra's eyes looked at him, half lidded and tired, at which point Logan decided he wanted to be the first thing she saw every morning.

It was a few weeks later that Logan saw a completely different side of her. Her eyes dark and clouded in a way that reminded him of stormy seas.

She had been out most of the day with a boyfriend he hadn't remembered her mentioning, and Logan, despite being surrounded by people, felt alone and sick to his stomach and tired.

But it was evening now, and the fact cut like a life. The dark cover of night seemed to insinuate an intimacy that he wasn't part of. The fact she was with someone else settling in the pit of his stomach like a lump of cement.

There was a knock on his trailer door that startled him. He made his way to the handle and yanked it open, not having seen Alexandra park her car and therefore not expecting to see the woman before him.

In an instant, Logan forgot how to breathe, mostly consciously because he was wearing his ugliest shirt, his hair was a mess and his breath smelt like pizza and garlic bread, and he couldn't have been more self conscious or ashamed of his appearance.

But the Logan noticed something else. And his problems were instantly forgotten.

Alexandra's eyes were a stormy grey, the irises a colourless hue as if all the life had been vacuumed out of them - of her. And the clouds were raining. Thick, depressed tears fell over her eyelids in shame as Alex looked at him with such sadness that made Logan choke, his own tears threatening to fall.

Logan didn't ask questions, instead he simply took her in his arms, wrapping himself around her in an offering of warmth and comfort. He didn't need an explanation or the truth of the situation. All he needed was to observe her quivering bottom lip, the teeth that protruded to bite the pink flesh still. And the wide, baby blue irises to turn grey alerted to the fact she was hurt and needed him.

But Alex explained anyway. "Jace had been cheating." Her eyes were wide with wonder and questioning. Logan closed his eyes in shame, not that any of this had been his fault. Logan's apologies were more on behalf of the male race, and his "I'm sorry" was more of an apology that he couldn't protect her from the hurt.

Their eyes locked, and his knees shook, weakening his resolve to say what he had wanted and calling him like a Siren, making his consider leaning forward that bit further, pressing his lips to hers.

When he looked at her next, her eyes were shining, a beauteous bright blue that warned him to the core, he never wanted to not see her eyes shine as vibrantly as they did at that moment. And he never wanted to stop being the reason she looked so bold.

Logan decided the glint of love in her irises directed at him was the best thing he'd ever seen. That was, until he discovered the effect her dilated pupils and thin rings of blue had on his already beat-skipping heart.

They hadn't been intimate before. At least, not in this way.

And Logan was nervous more than anything.

Not because he was a virgin. But he wanted to please her, impress her even. Logan did not want to be the cause of an anticlimax, and he didn't want his failure to ruin the relationship they were blossoming.

But all his nervousness and fear was washed away when she closed her eyes, her lips falling open. And was further dispersed when her eyes, half lidded, gazed at him before she fell asleep, filled with happiness and pleasant surprise and love and satisfaction.

It was the cool blue colour that calmed him when he was frustrated and the promise in the radial muscles that vowed she'd still be with him in the morning that Logan became acclimated to, and he would trade the icy glares or steely gazes that came with them for anything.

Except maybe the cool, crystal blue of Sophia - the infant blessed with her mother's eyes.