7; Lies & Guys

Amanda's dress for the dance

Amanda's POV

After giving Claire the Advil, we hung out around her house, too lazy to go outside.

"Hey," Claire piped up twenty minutes later. "Let's go get ice cream."

"Ice cream?"

"Yeah. You've had ice cream right?" She asked.

"Uh..." I trailed off. "Yes?"

She scoffed. "That is so not true. How could you not have ever had ice cream? I mean, America lives on ice cream. And McDonald's. Oh please tell me you've had McDonalds before." Claire begged with her eyes wide.

I stayed quiet. She knows when I lie to her.

"No freaking way. What the hell. You cannot be serious. The United States is literally living on McDonalds. You are going to kill me, I swear. What haven't you had? No, scratch that. Tell me what you have had and we'll work from there." She shrieked and scolded me.

"Well. I've had apples, bananas, oranges, strawberries, chi-" I listed before Clair butted in.

"Hell no. None of that healthy stuff. What restaurants have you been too? No McDonald's. Wendy's?"

I shook my head.

"Burger King?"

"Nope. But I have made burgers before."

"Screw that. Arbys?"

"Is that even a word?"

"Ugh. Subway? Please say yes. It has your healthy crap. Please."

"Um. No." How many places can there be?

It turned out a lot. She asked me about three dozen more places before she gave up.

"You're dead to me. How have you lived? I mean, everybody has been to IHOP! The international house of pancakes. Who doesn't like pancakes?" She complained. "We are going to Go someplace, no excuse." She got up and grabbed her keys and phone. As we walked out the door, her phone lit up with a notification.

"Why the hell is your lover boy texting me about where you are?" She asked, turning to face me.

Dustin texted her? Crap. "Wha-what did he say?" I stuttered.

"Is Amanda with you. I need to talk to her. It's urgent." Her eyebrows rose. "Answers lady."

"He probably wants to know something for science. My phone died." I lied without stuttering, praying she'd buy it.

"And this project is urgent, is it?" Skepticism rang in her voice.

"Um. Yep?"

"Whatever. He's going to have to wait. We are going to finally give you tastebuds. And a life." She declared and shut her phone off. 

"Where are we going?" I asked, slightly scared but also excited.

"We are going to McDonalds." Claire unlocked her car and hopped in the drivers side. I slid hesitantly into the passengers seat and buckled up.

"It's not going to be bad food, is it? You're not tricking me into thinking it's really good and amazing when it's like school food?" I couldn't stand cafeteria food, no one could.

"I'm hurt," she put her hand over her heart. "You think that low of me. How could you?" She dramatically swept her hand over her forehead.

"No drama queen, I'm just making sure." I rolled my eyes at her theatrics.